• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Murdered ‘Babes in the Wood’ looked as if they’d been thrown together

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 1 Nov, 2018 at 2:03PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

When two murdered nine-year-old girls from Brighton were found, it looked as if “one body had been almost thrown or tossed across the other”, a retired police chief told jurors today (Thursday 1 November).

Retired Superintendent David Tomlinson was the chief of police in Brighton during the desperate search for missing schoolgirls Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway in October 1986.

He described being taken to where the girls’ bodies were found in Wild Park, not far from where they lived in Newick Road, Moulsecoomb.

Mr Tomlinson described seeing former Brighton roofer Russell Bishop and his dog at the scene.

Bishop, 52, formerly of Stephens Road, Hollingdean, is on trial for the girls’ murder at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – in London.

The bodies of the girls – described in newspaper reports as the Babes in the Wood – were found in a den or clearing in Wild Park on Friday 10 October 1986.

Mr Tomlinson said that he heard the bodies had been found at about 4.20pm and was taken to the scene.

When he reached the scene, PC Paul Smith, known as Smudge, was there along with Bishop and the two teenagers who found the girls – hospital porter Kevin Rowland and his friend Matthew “Mac” Marchant, both 18.

He said that PC Smith pointed out a small clearing about 20ft away although the view was obscured slightly by a curve or dip in the path and by the undergrowth.

Mr Tomlinson went about halfway towards the girls so that he could see the scene better without disturbing it.

He said: “There was still an amount of undergrowth. With the position of the bodies, it was difficult for me to see what had happened.

“I was able to see the two bodies but they were not in a comfortable position. I got the impression that one body had been almost thrown or tossed against the other.

The bodies of Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway were found in a clearing or den in Wild Park in Moulsecoomb

Mr Tomlinson said that he ordered the scene to be sealed off and noticed how one of the 18-year-olds who found the bodies looked as though he would pass out.

Bishop “didn’t seem to be affected”, Mr Tomlinson told the jury.

Under cross-examination, he said: “He wasn’t showing the same sort of distress as the younger man.”

But Mr Tomlinson added: “I was also shocked.”

The jury also heard evidence about a Pinto sweatshirt found close to Moulsecoomb railway station.

It was first found by three young men taking part in the overnight search for the two girls – Peter James, Philip Upton and Yann Svenski.

The sweatshirt was inside out and fairly dry, even though the grass was wet and the air was damp.

The blue Pinto sweatshirt allegedly worn by Russell Bishop

The young men had no idea of its importance and left it hanging from a fence by the path – and it was found in the same area the next day by Seeboard engineer Robert Gander.

He contacted police and told them that he had found a sweatshirt smelling strongly of sweat and with red stains on it.

He was asked to take it to the “incident pod” in Wild Park where it was put in a brown paper evidence bag and taken to the police station in John Street, Brighton, where it was put a clear sealed bag.

The sweatshirt was allegedly worn by Bishop.

Retired chief superintendent Christopher “Kit” Bentham told the jury about the tests carried out on the sweatshirt.

Even in the days before DNA evidence, he wore a lab coat and gloves when it was tested for blood and fibres to “preserve the integrity” of evidence and to prevent contamination.

Mr Bentham said: “The main focus was to preserve whatever item it was for examination for the relevant scientists.”

Tape was used to test the bodies for any blood and fibre samples to be sent in sealed evidence bags to the Home Office forensic lab at Aldermaston, in Berkshire.

Joel Bennathan, defending, suggested that in the days before DNA, less care was taken to prevent the contamination of exhibits although Mr Bentham said that great care was taken.

Bishop denies two counts of murder. The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Murdered ‘Babes in the Wood’ looked as if they’d been thrown together

Man found dead in house this morning

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Café can become gym after plans approved

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

18 February 2026
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News