• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Free sanitary products likely to be offered to all Brighton and Hove schools

by Frank le Duc
Monday 26 Nov, 2018 at 7:27PM
A A
0
Free sanitary products likely to be offered to all Brighton and Hove schools

One-off funding has been proposed to help the Red Box Project to offer free sanitary products in schools across Brighton and Hove.

The project aims to tackle period poverty by supplying donated sanitary products for schoolgirls.

In Brighton and Hove, “red boxes” are provided in six secondary schools, eight primaries, two special schools and one college.

A report going before Brighton and Hove City Council’s Neighbourhoods, Inclusion, Communities and Equalities Committee next Monday (3 December) proposes allocating £3,620 towards the start-up costs of extending the project to all local schools.

Michelle McCann, one of the project’s three co-ordinators in Brighton and Hove, said: “We are thrilled to have officers that understand the needs of children in our schools and welcome the recommendation to add funds to our project.

“This amount can help us succeed in ensuring that every Brighton school is set up with a ‘red box’ in 2019.

“It means the project will be able to focus on fundraising to top up boxes and implementing the open discussion around being period positive between ourselves, our young people, parents and schools.

“It shows compassion and understanding of period poverty in Brighton and Hove.”

She pointed out cheaper products costing 50p or less will still stretch the budget for less well-off families.

Budget products are also not individually wrapped to help young girls hide their embarrassment.

Mrs McCann said: “At a basic level we don’t want any young person to miss essential school time due to having their period and not having the access to these products.

“It’s not about the cost of a cheap pack of sanitary wear. Some products work for some people and often women need more than one packet or a variety of products to see them through their period.”

Each “red box” contains a variety of products – a selection of sanitary wear, underwear, wipes and heat pads), giving young people who have access to the box the ability to take what they need without question.

The proposal comes after a petition was presented to a meeting of the full council.

The petition cited a report by Plan International UK, saying that one in ten girls in Britain had been unable to afford period products – and half of all girls have missed an entire day of school because of their period.

The council’s Personal Social Health Education Service is promoting the service to schools.

A community group, the Hangleton and Knoll project, along with the Young People’s Centre and Brighton Women’s Centre, are also providing free sanitary products to women in need across the city.

Sainsbury’s, the Co-Op, Superdrug, Sussex University Students Union, the Hangleton and West Blatchington Food Bank and Brighton Housing Trust’s First Base have all provided period products to food banks.

The Brighton and Hove Emergency Food Network identified the need for period products in 2016, according to the report going before the committee.

Its annual survey last year and this year found that toiletries were the joint highest needs.

The network’s report said: “Twelve of the 16 food banks would like to include more toiletries in their parcels, with comments specifying a need for more period products and nappies.”

The council’s report said that the Emergency Food Network had discussed period poverty at its most recent meeting in November.

It found that demand continues to outstrip supply and that there was a need for awareness-raising that period poverty exists in Brighton and Hove.

There is also a need for more donation points and signposting to places for free products.

The Hygiene Bank has a collection point in the Open Market and is looking to set up others.

Whitehawk Food bank has funding from the Homity Trust to provide “monthlies packs” and FareShare will soon be working with Morrison’s which will be donating period products for distribution by the Emergency Food Network.

Red Box Project donation points are at Hove Town Hall, The Village in Islingword Road, Brighton, and Flock in Sydney Street, Brighton.

The committee is expected to encourage companies across Brighton and Hove to support Red Box.

The project is due to be discussed by the Neighbourhoods, Inclusion, Communities and Equalities Committee at Hove Town Hall next Monday (3 December). The meeting, which is open to the public, is due to start at 4pm.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Free sanitary products likely to be offered to all Brighton and Hove schools

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News