• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Starr Trust boss says ‘I won’t walk away from King Alfred’

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 13 Aug, 2019 at 6:49PM
A A
3
Starr Trust boss says ‘I won’t walk away from King Alfred’

Rob Starr

One of the partners in the project to replace the King Alfred Leisure Centre said today that he was still at the table.

Rob Starr

Hove businessman Rob Starr said: “I’m not walking away from this. I’ve put my time and energy into this for years.”

Mr Starr, who runs the Starr Trust, said that he was ready to replace Crest Nicholson after the housebuilder pulled out of the project.

And he said that he had already lined up a replacement partner to deliver his winning bid to build a modern leisure centre and swimming pool as well as 565 seafront homes.

Mr Starr said: “Naturally, I’m disappointed that Crest Nicholson hasn’t felt able to follow through on this development which I’ve negotiated with them over for a number of years.

“I’m disappointed that they’ve taken this view and that they would walk away from something so important for our city.

“However, the Starr Trust was an equal partner when the winning bid was accepted by Brighton and Hove City Council and we have no intention of walking away.

“We already have a partner in place to replace Crest and to deliver the winning bid and we are engaging with the council to explore how we do this.”

Hove MP Peter Kyle said: “I’m devastated that yet another King Alfred plan has hit the rocks. Hove deserves better.

“I’m already in touch with council bosses and will convene an emergency meeting on this soon – and I’ve spoken many times with Rob Star in recent days.

“I won’t allow our community to be put through another tortuous round of development hell. We deserve a new sports centre not another decade of delays.

“I’ll be working with Rob, the council and any developers willing to find a way through this. There is no time to waste.”

Peter Kyle

Mr Starr shared his ambitions for the King Alfred site seven years ago – in August 2012 – four years after the Dutch bank ING pulled out of financing a scheme by developer Karis.

Few gave him a chance but his Starr Trust charity won preferred bidder status with Crest Nicholson in January 2016.

Since then Brighton and Hove City Council had hoped to sign a development agreement but Crest proved reluctant to put pen to paper.

Crest had issues with the £228 million scheme’s financial viability even though the council committed to invest £8 million itself to get things moving.

It quibbled over legal issues and the “affordable” housing element of the scheme – even though the council won a £15 million government grant for low-cost homes on the site.

King Alfred Leisure Centre – Picture courtesy of Wikiwand

By late last year Crest was blaming rising building costs – up from £164 million to £211 million – for eroding its potential profit. It also had fears about a possible fall in property prices.

The housebuilder reckoned that it would be able to make a profit of just under £17 million compared with its original estimate of more than £42 million.

The company said that it had concerns about the uncertainty surrounding Brexit – Britain’s exit from the European Union – but concerns about potential profits proved to be a bigger factor.

Through all this, Mr Starr has stayed true to his dream of reviving one of the landmarks of his home town.

The decision by Crest may be seen by some as a setback but, if Mr Starr is true to form, he will treat it as an opportunity.

And though once again there will be doubters about the prospects for the problematic seafront site, Mr Starr remains focused on solutions.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Josh Spencer says:
    7 years ago

    Hopefully this time the plans will actually match what we need i.e a 21st century replacement for the sports centre, not a health spa for residents of the flats and office space for those involved in the project

    Reply
  2. Robert says:
    7 years ago

    Mr.Starr your payday will have to be postponed.Find somewhere else to build those aweful 60’s concrete jungle.Preferably nowhere near Hove.We will fight any plans you try to submit.

    Reply
  3. Geraldine says:
    6 years ago

    WALK AWAY MR.STARR.Local residents will fight all the way to stop this overdevelopment in Hove.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Starr Trust boss says ‘I won’t walk away from King Alfred’

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

School building to become temporary charity hub

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
August 2019
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News