Man arrested for attempted murder after BMW ploughs into crowd on Brighton seafront

Posted On 02 Dec 2019 at 2:40 pm

A man has been arrested for attempted murder after a car ploughed into a crowd on Brighton seafront yesterday morning.

One of the three men hit by the BMW is in critical condition, with the other two described as being in a serious condition.

The road is now likely to remain closed until at tomorrow afternoon while investigations continue.

This is the third incident in which a car has reportedly been driven at people in Brighton in recent weeks.

Officers were called to a report of a large group of people fighting on the seafront at 5.20am on Sunday (1 December).

As they responded, it was reported that three of the group had then been struck by a vehicle.

The victims were taken to hospital with serious injuries. A 20-year-old man is in a critical condition and an 18-year-old man and 22-year-old man are in a serious condition.

A 32-year-old man was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and a 33-year-old man was detained on suspicion of attempted murder on Monday morning (2 December). They are both in custody.

The vehicle, a BMW X6, was later found abandoned nearby.

Detective Chief Inspector Chris Friday: “This is a fast moving investigation and we are again appealing for anyone who may have seen the incident or has any information about it to come forward.

We are particularly keen to hear from anyone who may have mobile phone footage, dashcam footage or anyone with private CCTV footage of the incident.

“Marine Parade is likely to remain closed between the pier roundabout and Camelford Street until Tuesday afternoon (3 December) while we are continuing searches and carrying out enquiries and I would like to thank the public for their patience.”

The incident is not terror-related. It follows two similar incidents in Brighton last month.

In the first incident, a car was driving at speed at pedestrians outside the Ship Hotel in Kings Road on Sunday, November 10.

Then the following day, Monday, November 11, a car was seen doing a u-turn then driving at two people on the pavement at the Old Steine, hitting one before driving off.

After the first incident, two 20-something men from Croydon and Sutton were arrested on suspicion of attempting to cause grievous bodily harm aggravated vehicle taking, assault, drunk driving, driving without a licence and failing to stop after a road accident.

They were subsequently released under investigation.

If you can help with the investigation please report online or ring 101 quoting Operation Danebridge.

  1. Terry Reply

    This incident commenced in Middle Steet, (the road between Pryzm nightclub and Buddies Restuarant). A car was found there with its rear window smashed. The fighting then continued all the way along the seafront and ended, in a serious manner, just past Palace Pier, between Club Revenge and Legends.

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.