• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Neighbours fear racket from pickleball court

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 6 Feb, 2025 at 11:25PM
A A
15
Neighbours fear racket from pickleball court

Pickleball’s growing popularity prompted worried neighbours of a sports complex to object to plans for a new multi-use games area (MUGA).

A temporary padel court has already been moved from the long-established games area after neighbours complained, with one saying that it was “like being under constant gunfire”.

Brighton and Hove City Council, which owns the site, at the Withdean Sports Complex, even served a noise abatement order on its contractor Freedom Leisure.

Now, the council’s Planning Committee has voted unanimously in favour of granting planning permission for a multi-use games area in the same place, with pickleball among the potential sports there.

The plans include resurfacing the court, putting up new floodlights and replacing the existing 9ft (2.7m) high link fence with a 10ft high “duo 8” mesh fence.

There will also be a storage container and markings for netball, basketball and tennis as well as the increasingly popular pickleball in an area that is already used for outdoor sports.

Neighbours were divided over the plans, with 15 objecting and 16 in support.

One resident, Simon Farncombe, said that the area was hardly used until it previously became a padel court.

He said that neighbours had endured 29 months of noise nuisance and that lessons must be learnt.

Mr Farncombe said: “The visual impact of this development, including the shipping container, will allow and promote intensive use of the MUGA – a significant increase and more noise than previously.

“We had one padel court and there’s now provisionally four pickle courts. It’s essential that consideration is given to managing the noise impact from day one.”

Sports facilities manager Kerry Taylor said that the council planned to improve leisure facilities across Brighton and Hove.

She said: “This multi-use games area or MUGA at Withdean Sports Complex is an existing fenced sports court that is in dire need of improvement.

“As a council asset, improvements are needed to the facility so it is safe and suitable to use as well as ensuring it provides accessible sporting opportunities for the residents of Brighton and Hove.”

She told the committee that the site would not just be used for pickleball because there was also demand for netball and tennis.

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald said: “This is an improvement to have a variety of sports and something new like pickleball.”

She said that, given the existing use as a multi-purpose sports court, it would be hard legally to justify a vote against the plans.

Green councillor Raphael Hill said: “It’s important to recognise that pickleball tends to be a loud sport. We should be cognisant of the impact of that sport but I will be voting in favour.”

Labour councillor Joy Robinson said: “I do understand the residents’ concerns, particularly given the experience they went through when it was a padel court.

“Surely, Freedom Leisure and our sports team have learnt some lessons from that and will do as much as they can to limit the noise from pickleball and work closely with the residents.”

The planning application was approved yesterday (Wednesday 5 February) in a meeting at Hove Town Hall.

The Planning Committee formally asked for a noise impact assessment in the event of complaints about noise.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 15

  1. Benjamin says:
    1 year ago

    Pickleball…constant gunfire…what…

    Reply
  2. Ron Carr says:
    1 year ago

    These are people who bought houses opposite a leisure centre and are now complaining about people playing sport.. madness.

    Reply
    • Richard says:
      1 year ago

      An well-worn and overly simplistic take on the situation. In recent years the site has developed itself a fair bit, with more to come.

      Reply
  3. Ron says:
    1 year ago

    I’ve never heard of pickleball which is another reason why it’s unimportant and must not be allowed to cause disturbance and distress to people. Noise pollution is one of the biggest problems afflicting us today. It can have a terrible effect on people’s health.

    I would adopt a zero tolerance approach to it and shut this place down.

    There’s no excuse for noisy activities to be taking place outside, whether it’s pickleball or music events. We have indoor concert halls, theatres and leisure centres for this precise purpose.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      Personal incredulity and ignorance is an extremely weak argument.

      Reply
    • Bobby Powell says:
      1 year ago

      YOU’VE never heard of it, and that’s a good enough reason for nobody to play it? How self-centered you are.
      The benefits of exercising and spending time outdoors generally have been scientifically proven time and time again. If you wish to spend your time under cover, then please feel free to do so. Stop trying to control the lives of others.

      Reply
  4. Ann E Nicky says:
    1 year ago

    Dear Ron, it’s a pity we can’t do the same thing with your constant drivel & waffle.

    Reply
  5. Tony Ward says:
    1 year ago

    If the council could see its way to sorting out the lighting on the tennis courts in Preston Park, that would help an awful lot of people. Lights are too high and it’s like watching Close Encounters. People literally have high intensity floodlights lighting up their property every evening. The fact that the courts are illuminated even when unused seems to have escaped the B&HBC’s attention.
    In respect of the residents of Withdean – the council really should work to reduce noise and disturbance to a minimum. People don’t necessarily understand how something they may regard as innocuous and simply people whinging, can be pretty intrusive and really impact peoples quality of life. Sadly, B&HCC seem to relish ignoring residents concerns – witness holding public consultations about Pride in the Parks which clearly demonstrated people had real issues with noise and restrictions to their own homes during Pride, only for them to ignore all the complaints and allow Pride to extend the event to two weekends. Money talks………

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      The lighting seems like a fine thing to ask to resolve. Even by adapting the windows themselves with film membranes, or providing blackout curtains for residents could go a long way to providing an amicable solution. And even simpler, switching them off when unused is perfectly reasonable!

      Regarding Pride, I think this is a perfect example of why adversial individuals falling claiming to be representative of an area, despite resisting all offers to officially form, start proclaiming disingenuous claims of human rights and illegality, even whilst a simple basic search destroys the assertion.

      You make a good point Tony, the individual experience is certainly different to what others may see looking in, and a careful, articulated, and solution-based approach from residents may be the key thing to achieve the positive outcomes hoped for.

      Reply
    • NorthBrightonSunshine says:
      1 year ago

      Except that Pride isn’t being extended to two weekends. As the council have listened to residents concerns.

      Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      1 year ago

      Aren’t the Preston Park courts there operated by a community group rather than the council?

      Perhaps start by contacting them and also the local councillors.

      Reply
  6. Richard says:
    1 year ago

    Don’t understand the logic. The previous recent use resulted in a noise abatement notice, and the court was dismantled. Now there is an application for a supposedly noiser and busier activity. I’m a member of the gym, and a neighbour. There seems to be a lot of money for capital spend, but none for oning maintenance. The building in general is falling into disrepair, the sauna is now closed. I got the impression that the owners were in financial difficulty.

    Reply
  7. Dirk Mitchell says:
    1 year ago

    Sadly, human activity continues to disrupt the natural world. This council appears to pay greater regard to leisure activity at the expense of the natural inhabitants and residential amenity. Residents must turn to the 1990 Environment Act to seek recourse from such applications.

    Reply
  8. Kay says:
    1 year ago

    I dont understand how “sport noise” is annoying but Grand Parade is full of junkies that shout all day and night long and it’s just so unpleasant in a city centre and that’s ok.
    Maybe neighbours should join in? Sport is good for you and outdoor facilities are important. It boost your serotonin and makes you less naggy, maybe there is something to try .You should be happy that people are choosing healthy lifestyle. It’s not like it’s going on all night long does it?

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      It does give an impression of NIMBYism.

      Reply

Leave a Reply to Richard Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Neighbours fear racket from pickleball court

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

16 February 2026
Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

15 February 2026
An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

14 February 2026
Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

13 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
3

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
February 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
2425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
  • Primary school teacher charged with sexually assaulting two children 14 February 2026
  • Police staff member spared prison for having child porn 14 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News