• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Two mega-HMOs for couples planned

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 5 Nov, 2025 at 12:49PM
A A
16
Two mega-HMOs for couples planned

The house in Dyke Road Avenue

Two separate applications to turn family homes into shared houses for couples have been submitted.

Both schemes – from two separate developers – want to turn a large house in a leafy suburb into houses of multiple occupation (HMOs) with multiple double bedrooms.

Ardeshir Diznabi, who runs holiday lettings company Diznabi Ltd, wants to turn a five bedroom home in Ridgeside Avenue, Patcham Village into a seven-bedroom HMO.

And Amir Khan, who owns Taj, wants to turn his former family home in Dyke Road Avenue, Withdean, into a 13-bed HMO – with most of the bedrooms suitable for couples or adult sharers.

The house in Ridgeside Avenue

The application for the Patcham house says the shared house would be managed by a lettings agent with HMOs.

There would be four double bedrooms on the ground floor, one with an ensuite, and two communal bathrooms, as well as two communal kitchens, a dining room and a lounge.

Three double bedrooms, all with ensuites, would be on the first floor.

The application, written by HFM Design and Build, says: “It is not considered that the additional comings and goings from a small HMO use including 2 additional bedrooms, would create a substantial harm to neighbouring properties when compared to a large family dwellinghouse use.

“Furthermore, noise and disturbance will be controlled by robust tenancy management and compliance with Environmental Health requirements.”

The application for the Dyke Road Avenue house says Mr Khan bought it in 1994, when it had been used as a residential home and day centre, and has since used it to house his large extended family of three adult siblings, partners and children – up to 16 total occupants.

The house would be minimally reworked to form 13 double bedsitting rooms, two or three of which would have ensuite bathrooms and up to four with private cooking facilities.

The others would share two kitchens, two bathrooms with toilet, two shower rooms with toilet and one separate toilet.

There would also be one communal living room.

The application, written by DJH Architectural and Planning Consultants, says: “Although it is more usual for HMO conversions to deliver single occupancy rooms, there is a housing demand in Brighton for double occupancy rooms of high quality for adult professionals, key workers and shorter term contract workers with a local connection, who are not currently in a position to rent or buy a self contained flat.”

Two neighbours have objected to the Patcham application, and one to the Withdean, all citing parking concerns.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 16

  1. Benjamin says:
    7 months ago

    Anyone wishing to object may want to note that this proposal goes beyond a normal shared house (Class C4) and would instead be classed as sui generis because of the number of occupants. That means it falls outside permitted HMO use and can be refused on grounds of over-intensification, impact on residential character, and breach of City Plan Part Two Policy DM7. In practical terms, this is one of the strongest and most defensible planning grounds to object on.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      6 months ago

      Oh, and the planning proposal is BH2025/02489 for Dyke Road Avenue.

      Reply
  2. MR ROBERT MACROWAN says:
    7 months ago

    Why are we allowing these people to create tomorrow’s slums

    Reply
  3. Jerry Leadbetter says:
    7 months ago

    HMOphobia alive and well in Brighton & Hove.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      7 months ago

      Personally, I just think people deserve better than being squeezed into a building as tightly as possible, and professionally, I’ve seen some really unsafe and subhuman standards within multiple HMOs in Brighton. They are not for long-term living. I think we can do better.

      Reply
  4. Frank says:
    7 months ago

    I doubt there’s the infrastructure to support an increase in population density in the area.

    Reply
  5. dean says:
    7 months ago

    Disgusting. It’s just making flats on the cheap, expecting people to live like peasants to make this bloke rich. If he gave a care in the world he would build flats or sell it as is. But judging by the hygiene rating at his business it’s clear he doesn’t care about anyone anything but money.
    Refuse it

    Reply
  6. On the pulse says:
    7 months ago

    Refuse it. All the nonsense and empty promises they’ve made about the things they’ll do to reduce the impact to the local area should be taken with a pinch of salt. I think I’ll boycott Taj from now on too after reading that!

    Reply
  7. Hucklepickleberry says:
    6 months ago

    Is this the same Taj owner whose shop failed poorly on health issues, according to local newspaper, when the health inspectors checked? The time before Taj also failed inspection in food hygiene according to the newspaper which reported dripping blood from raw meat onto foodstuffs below, amongst other issues, if the report was accurate?

    If this is the same business owner how can the Council ensure a business owner who allows such poor standards for their food business, guarantee to run an HMO to high standards or will corners be cut with the same disregard to health and possibly safety and other issues in the pursuit of profit?
    It may be an agency running day to day management, but the health and safety of the property needs to be up to standards before letting.

    A better use of the properties would be if they were sold to a developer to build permanent flats at a higher standard, which would benefit any neighbourhood better than temporary tenants coming and going without putting down roots.
    The businessmen still make a profit, so does the developer and permanent homes for people who become part of their neighbourhoods instead of passing through as temporary tenants.

    Both areas are not suitable for HMOs. Much better use of the houses for permanent flats where residents become permanent citizens, contributing to their neighbourhoods.

    I hope the Council have the forethought to refuse this application. We have overpopulated the City with substandard HMOs for temporary residents at the expense of the permanent population and mainly for the profit of absent landlords who do not live locally or contribute to the circular economy.

    (I do not live in these areas, but where I live we have 69% student occupancy which has ripped the heart out of the community with no homes left for families and destroyed the communities locally).

    Reply
  8. Mike Pelss says:
    6 months ago

    One large house being converted to provide 13 affirdable homes. The neighbouring nimbys want to pull the ladder up so those who cannot afford multi million pound withdrawn houses cannot access decent (hopefully) accommodation

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      6 months ago

      A 13-bedroom sui generis HMO marketed to “adult professionals, key workers, and contract workers” is not affordable housing in any interpretation, and it’s disingenuous to claim it is, especially from someone of your background, Mike. It’s a high-density private rental scheme designed for profit, aiming to avoid regulation and affordable tenure under City Plan.

      Your comment is a clear rhetorical trick to make others sound elitist, but here it collapses under scrutiny. True affordability would come from self-contained, energy-efficient flats at social or LHA rents, not from carving up one house into 26 adult bedspaces with two kitchens.

      Reply
  9. Laines says:
    6 months ago

    There’ll have to be slum clearances in a hundred years time if this sort of thing continues.

    Reply
    • Andrew Richards says:
      6 months ago

      Tell me you know nothing about slums without telling me you know nothing about slums.

      Reply
      • Laines says:
        6 months ago

        That’s an original comment. Why not elaborate?

        Reply
  10. Jane T says:
    6 months ago

    Wow so he is proposing 26 couples will live in this HMO. Probably hoping to get a SERCO asylum seeker HMO contract if he wishes to do this to a house of this size.

    Reply
  11. Citizen says:
    6 months ago

    Slum Hmo horrors for maximum profit from the Taj owner who got 0 out of 5 hygiene at Western Road …tip of the ice berg with these Kharn Brothers and extended family.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Two mega-HMOs for couples planned

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Café given go ahead to sell beer and margaritas with takeaway meals

Smoky saunas get up neighbours’ noses

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

‘Love Supreme Jazz Festival’ announces full 2026 line-up

20 May 2026
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
November 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News