• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Tenant rep questions use of homes bought back by council

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 17 Jun, 2026 at 10:46PM
A A
3
Tenant rep questions use of homes bought back by council

The way in which some council housing is allocated has been questioned by a tenant rep.

She asked about the use of homes that were sold under the “right to buy” and recently bought back by Brighton and Hove City Council.

Some of the “buy-backs” are being used as temporary housing rather than allocated to people on the council’s waiting list.

The question was submitted by Woodingdean Tenants and Residents’ Association representative Janet Gearing to a council housing management panel.

The panel was told that five homes in the area had been used as temporary housing and two had been let as council homes so far this year.

Mrs Gearing was concerned that houses intended for families were being used temporarily when there were people on the waiting list in need of a larger home.

She was also aware that the council had bought a further six houses in Woodingdean which had originally been sold under the “right to buy”.

Mrs Gearing said: “Are these going to be for temporary accommodation or are they going to people off the housing register. People don’t need temporary. They need permanent places to live.”

The council’s director of housing people services Harry Williams said that there were between 5,600 and 5,800 households waiting for social housing, with the longest waiting list for larger properties.

There were more than 2,200 households in temporary housing who were classified as homeless, with 40 per cent of those including children.

The stop-gap measure would be in place until next May, the panel was told, and was intended to provide more stable temporary housing.

The council’s cabinet had been told that there would be an impact on people on the housing register.

But Mr Williams said that other new housing was coming across Brighton and Hove and using the buy-backs as temporary homes was a short-term measure.

He said: “We have been able to do really positive things using our temporary accommodation. That includes reducing the number of households that we have placed outside the city.

“We’re seeing fewer housholds living in areas like Eastbourne as a result of using council homes as temporary accommodation.”

Last year, the council bought back 118 homes sold under the “right to buy”.

The council’s director of homes and investment Martin Reid said that buy-backs were permanent additions to the council’s housing stock, even when used as temporary housing.

Mr Reid said: “That’s really significant for us. We’ve also bought homes on the St Aubyn’s development in Rottingdean. Were also buying all over the city.

“We’ve got a huge development coming on the Mouselcoomb hub – that’s over 200 council homes.

“We’ve also bought a site in Sackville Road – so we’re building and buying more homes across the city.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Almatt11 says:
    2 months ago

    Why are so much time has the RtoB not been rescinded baffles me. One of the most insidious bit of legislation from the Thatcher time in office. After having many different political parties since, no government seen fit to stop this millions of nomes now lost to the private sector charging 3 times value rent. No wonder thousands are on waiting list

    Reply
    • John says:
      2 months ago

      Who can argue with your point.
      Whilst we there what about privatisation – how on earth can water be in profit making companies who privatise their profits and socialise their losses. Where is the risk for these vulture companies.

      Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      2 months ago

      I agree, that RTB doesn’t have a place in modern society and social homes, not to mention how the money form the sale doesn’t all go to the local area.

      I’m interested in seeing how effective the alternative grant scheme will be, on paper, looks great at protecting social homes as social homes.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Tenant rep questions use of homes bought back by council

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
June 2026
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News