• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Girls spur mentoring project aimed at curbing harmful sexual behaviour by boys

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 19 Feb, 2025 at 12:57AM
A A
4
Council charges could soar as city faces budget ‘crunch point’

Hove Town Hall - Picture by N Chadwick from www.geograph.org.uk

A project looking at harmful sexual behaviour in schools has provided mentoring for 24 boys across Brighton and Hove.

The project was started after an increase in the number of girls reporting abuse from boys at school including serious assaults.

The scheme is known as the Harmful Sexual Behaviours in Schools Project and it was started by the Brighton and Hove Safeguarding Children Partnership.

More girls reported abuse after the murder of Sarah Everard in March 2021. In the weeks afterwards, a number of girls staged a protest at Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove, and shared their experiences of harassment with teachers.

The safeguarding partnership, which is led by Brighton and Hove City Council, Sussex Police and NHS Sussex Integrated Care Board, commissioned the work from YMCA Downslink and the Trust for Developing Communities.

They aimed to help four secondary schools to create a positive anti-misogynist culture.

The council’s corporate director of families, children and wellbeing Deb Austin said that a mentor was deployed at the four schools.

She said: “This work targeted mentoring focusing on positive masculinity and reduction of harmful sexual behaviour for 24 boys who had been identified by the schools.”

Extra funding from the Sussex police and crime commissioner extended the programme to non-mainstream education, including the Connected Hub and children being home education.

Those who were involved with the mentoring were said to have responded positively to the programme.

Ms Austin said: “It also highlighted differences in perceptions between boys, who very much were seeing their behaviour as banter and jokes, and the experience of girls, their lived experience and the impact those behaviours were having on them on a personal level.”

She told the council’s Health and Wellbeing Board: “What is clear is there is much work still to do.”

Labour councillor Amanda Grimshaw praised the scheme at the same meeting and asked about incorporating it in personal, social, health and economic (PSHE) education classes.

Ms Austin said that harmful sexual behaviour formed part of the PSHE curriculum but the boys involved had a more focused experience during their specialist sessions.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. AllJustMeh says:
    1 year ago

    I think there should be a ‘How to be a Parent’ scheme. If your child(ren) cannot behave then they get taken away. Too many rely on the schools and the state to bring up their children. Personal responsibility people!

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      Dramatics aside, parenting classes are already a thing.

      Reply
  2. Frank says:
    1 year ago

    mobile phones can acess internet porn that influences teenage boys – parents must monitor the phones they buy their children. Ban their use in schools and stop access to social media platforms that enable bullying.
    NO KNIVES and NO Phones in schools.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      That comes down to setting up a device correctly. Social Media has a much bigger impact than bullying unfortunately, quite a bit of research out there linking long-term mentally illness to social media.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Girls spur mentoring project aimed at curbing harmful sexual behaviour by boys

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

Max Cooper announces two 3D/AV shows

24 May 2026
Here’s a night out not to be missed!

Here’s a night out not to be missed!

24 May 2026
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
February 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
2425262728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman dies as car and motorbikes crash 24 May 2026
  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News