• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 20 May, 2026 at 12:01AM
A A
0
Wood burners fill Brighton air with some of UK’s worst pollution

Picture by Christophe Finot / Wiki Commons

A single smoke control area will restrict what can be burnt – and how – across most of Brighton and Hove after senior councillor agreed to extend existing restrictions.

Brighton has had a number of smoke control areas since the 1970s. The five existing areas mainly cover the centre of Brighton, Lewes Road, Hanover, Bevendean and the Montpelier estate.

Now, Brighton and Hove City Council’s cabinet has approved the creation of a single zone covering the built-up area and the “urban fringe”.

A cabinet report said that Brighton and Hove had one of the highest densities of wood-burning stoves in the country – about 7,500 or roughly 88 stoves per square kilometre.

In the winter months, Brighton and Hove has high levels of “small particulate matter” known as PM2.5 which is linked with heart and lung health problems.

Labour councillor Tim Rowkins, the council’s cabinet member for environmental services and net zero, said that it was the council’s fundamental responsibility to protect residents’ lives and health.

He said that figures from Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) in 2023 found that domestic burning of solid fuel was the latest single source of PM 2.5 pollution in the country.

A year later, real-time air quality measurements started in Brighton and Hove and found pollution from solid fuels was a problem across the area.

Councillor Rowkins said: “I don’t believe you can look at this data and not feel compelled to act.”

He added: “It is not a ban on wood burners. It is also not a ban on barbecues – in fact SCA (smoke control area) legislation applies only to buildings and so doesn’t cover any form of outdoor burning.

“The aim of an SCA is to ensure that any burning that does happen is as clean as possible.

“That means either only burning fuels on the DEFRA approved list or using an approved appliance.”

Green councillor Kerry Pickett said that she had previously called for such action because air pollution was costing the country £27 billion a year and was linked to asthma, cancer and dementia.

She called for more education on the issue and some form of enforcement and penalties to ensure that people complied with the restrictions.

Councillor Pickett said: “I have been working closely with some great local campaigners, many of whom are consultants at our hospitals, who see first-hand the effects of airborne pollutants on people.

“In particular, on children’s and older people’s health, especially in areas such as the Lewes Road.

“The evidence of the harm caused by dirty air, even at low levels, has risen rapidly and scientists now think it damages every organ in the body.”

Councillor Rowkins replied by saying that it was important to be led by the evidence and not to act “off the cuff”.

Having the data from the 54 sensors across Brighton and Hove, with live readings, had provided the evidence – and people had better awareness of the concerns linked to solid fuels.

DEFRA awarded the council almost £90,000 over four years, with £40,000 still to come, to tackle smoke pollution.

The council said that the cost of the new smoke control area communications and enforcement patrols were expected to cost £8,000 in the current financial year and £6,850 in 2027-28.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Smoky saunas get up neighbours’ noses

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News