• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – defendant refuses to give any more evidence

by Frank le Duc
Monday 26 Nov, 2018 at 3:33PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

The defendant in the Babes in the Wood double murder trial has refused to give any more evidence, bringing his cross-examination to a premature end.

Russell Bishop, 52, formerly of Stephens Road, Hollingdean, is on trial for the murder of two nine-year-old girls at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – in London.

He denies killing Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway, both of Newick Road, Moulsecoomb, in nearby Wild Park in October 1986.

He was acquitted by a jury at Lewes Crown Court in 1987 in a case known as the Babes in the Wood murders.

But a change to the law on double jeopardy, scientific advances in DNA technology and the resulting fresh forensic evidence have led to Bishop facing a second trial.

Bishop went into the witness box at the end of last week where he was questioned by his barrister Joel Bennathan.

But this morning (Monday 26 November) the former roofer took offence at the way he was cross-examined by Brian Altman, the barrister for the prosecution.

At one point Bishop asked the judge, Sir Nigel Sweeney, also known as Mr Justice Sweeney, whether the prosecutor’s approach was legal.

Mr Altman had been asking Bishop about his conviction for the kidnap, sexual assault and attempted murder of a seven-year-old girl from Whitehawk.

Bishop left the girl for dead at the Devil’s Dyke, just north of Brighton, in February 1990.

He admitted lying on oath to the jury at his trial.

The prosecutor said: “There are very good reasons for what I also suggest are obvious and striking similarities between the two offences – because the killer of those two girls in October 1986 was the same person who attacked (the seven-year-old girl) in 1990. And that man is you.”

Murder victims Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

After less than 90 minutes the jury left court.

When they returned, after lunch, Mr Justice Sweeney said to the jury: “You will observe immediately, of course, that Mr Bishop is in the dock, not the witness box.

“That is because he has declined to give any further evidence.

“As you may have gathered, I have given him time to consider that, but that is ultimately his position.

“I will give you directions in due course as to how you should approach that.

“The practical effect of that he is can be asked no more questions in cross-examination and his evidence to you is at an end.”

Russell Bishop

The judge told the jury that a further defence witness would be called tomorrow (Tuesday 27 November) 11.30am.

Bishop denies two counts of murder.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – defendant refuses to give any more evidence

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News