• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton Hippodrome’s new owners to spend six months working with campaigners on venue’s future

by Frank le Duc
Monday 22 Jun, 2015 at 10:40PM
A A
0
Brighton Hippodrome’s new owners to spend six months working with campaigners on venue’s future

The Hippodrome has been bought by Britain’s biggest owner and operator of live music and night club venues.

The new owner, the Academy Music Group, has agreed to work with campaigners and Brighton and Hove City Council on a viability study for six months until December.

The move has raised hopes that the building will be restored and returned to use for music and live performance.

A stakeholder group has been formed to carry out the viability study to work out how to use the grade II* listed building.

Hippodrome Brighton interiorThe group’s members are the new owner, the council, the Theatres Trust, Historic England, Our Brighton Hippodrome, Brighton Hippodrome CIC and the Frank Matcham Society.

Matcham was the architect who designed the Hippodrome. It opened as an ice skating rink in 1897, designed by Lewis Karslake. A few years later it became a circus briefly, to Matcham’s design. Soon after he converted it into a theatre and concert venue.

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones played there. Harry Houdini, Charlie Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy made appearances. Max Miller, the Crazy Gang and Laurence Olivier also starred.

In 1965 the Rank Organisation turned the Hippodrome into a bingo hall. It was known as the Mecca until it closed in 2007.

The Academy Music Group bought the freehold of the Hippodrome and some of the property around it in April. The deal was announced at the end of last week.

The company runs the Brixton Academy – now known as the O2 Academy Brixton – and the Shepherd’s Bush Empire.

On Friday (19 June) Mhora Samuel, director of the Theatres Trust, the national advisory public body for theatres, said: “We are pleased to be supporting this initiative.

“The group will be working together over the next six months to find a solution that will protect the historical and cultural significance of this Frank Matcham theatre and identify a beneficial viable use.”

Campaigners had been due to present a petition to a meeting of the council’s Economic Development and Culture Committee at the Jubilee Library in Brighton on Thursday (18 June).

Instead, the council leader Warren Morgan said: “A petition with over 5,300 signatures by Our Brighton Hippodrome is not being presented today.

Councillor Warren Morgan
Councillor Warren Morgan

“It asks the council to support plans for theatre restoration and to use all available powers and its best endeavours to facilitate such plans.

“I can confirm that we are now in positive discussions with Academy Music Group, the new owner of the Hippodrome, Hippodrome House and the access yard off Ship Street.

“We have agreed to join a stakeholders group with Our Brighton Hippodrome, Brighton Hippodrome CIC, the Theatres Trust, Historic England and the Frank Matcham Society.

“The stakeholder group will work with Academy Music Group to find the best way forward to bring the Hippodrome back to life.

“The council will assist in that process by sharing relevant information for an independent viability assessment.”

One of the campaigners, David Fisher, said on behalf of Our Brighton Hippodrome and Brighton Hippodrome CIC: “This is the moment we have been working towards for the past 18 months.

“We are pleased and excited that Academy Music Group is creating this opportunity.

“However, this is not the end of the line, just the first milestone. We shall now be working hard on the business proposition with our stakeholder partners.”

Theatres at risk #1The Academy Music Group’s head of property Russell Duly said: “The Theatres Trust and all other organisations who are involved in this steering committee have our full support.”

The Hippodrome is number one on the Theatres Trust’s Theatre Buildings at Risk Register and is high on Historic England’s Heritage at Risk Register.

Last July the council’s Planning Committee gave permission to convert the Hippodrome into an eight-screen cinema complex with four cafés or restaurants, shops and offices.

But in January the cinema operator Vue pulled out of the project.

Vue’s decision gave the campaigners a lifeline but it will come at a price. The cost of bringing the derelict building back to life will run into millions of pounds. One estimate, five years ago, suggested that the figure could be at least £9 million.

The new freeholder the Academy Music Group and its main shareholder Live Nation are not unfamiliar with the figures. They leased the building in 2007.

But in July 2010 they dropped their plans for a live venue and night club there. While restoration looked costly, soundproofing was expected to add a further £3 million to the bill.

Over the past year and a half the campaigners have made plenty of noise but behind the scenes they have also been quietly doing their homework and learning their lines. Somewhere in the script, the word “funding” will have to appear.

And having waited in the wings for so long, the campaigners now have a chance to take centre stage, set the scene and even try to call the tune.

They are currently top of the bill and this is their chance to play to the audience and shape the Hippodrome’s future.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton Hippodrome’s new owners to spend six months working with campaigners on venue’s future

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
June 2015
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News