Man charged after March for England demo in Brighton

Posted On 29 May 2012 at 5:59 pm

A jobless 21-year-old man has been charged with using threatening words or behaviour during a demonstration in Brighton last month.

Alexander Weir, 21, of Gratwicke Road, Worthing, has been bailed by Sussex Police to appear at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on Friday 15 June.

He has been charged with breaking the Public Order Act during the March for England event on Sunday 22 April.

The force said that no action would be taken against a 20-year-old from Brighton who was arrested on the same day.

Officers are still trying to trace five suspected offenders whose photographs were published last week.

Some information had been received, the force said, and although no arrests had yet been made, inquiries were continuing.

Anyone who recognises any of the five suspects is asked to call Sussex Police on 101.

  1. Paul Perrin (@pperrin) Reply

    As I understand it, all the disruption and police action was regarding members of UAF (Unite Against Fascism) who ran a ‘counter protest’.

    Funny that all the stories (here and on the BBC website etc) all mention arrests at a ‘March for England’ event, but nothing about who caused trouble and was arrested…

    I don’t ‘support’ either side, but do support fair, balanced, unbiased reporting… without that we have nothing to base anything on!

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.