• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Government awards £2.5m towards cost of flats for old people in Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Friday 9 Aug, 2013 at 11:40AM
A A
1

A proposal to build 45 “extra care” flats for old people in Brighton has won £2.5 million funding from the government.

The self-contained flats will be built on the site of Brooke Mead, an old block of council bedsits in Albion Street which is due to be demolished.

The 45 self-contained one and two-bedroom flats will be purpose-built for older people who wish to continue to live independently but with care and support available when needed.

Brighton and Hove City Council said that it would also contribute towards the cost of the £9 million project with the rest of the funding coming from rents.

Councillor Rob Jarrett, chairman of the council’s Adult Care and Health Committee, said: “We’re very keen to increase the amount of specialised housing for older people and adults with disabilities.

“Extra care housing is a win-win because it enables vulnerable people to maintain their independence but in a supported environment.

“It has proved very popular so this is a massive step forward for us.”

Councillor Bill Randall, chairman of the council’s Housing Committee, said: “The Brooke Mead scheme will help meet the growing demand for extra care housing in the city.

“Thirty per cent of the council’s sheltered housing tenants are aged 80 or more and 49 per cent are disabled.

“Extra care housing provides a cost-effective way of helping them and other older people in the city maintain their independence.”

The ‘new’ Brooke Mead has been designed to national Lifetime Homes standards to meet residents’ changing abilities and circumstances.

The council said that particular care had been taken in the design to cater for the needs of people with dementia.

And 10 per cent of the accommodation will be fully wheelchair-accessible.

The funding is subject to planning approval. An application has been submitted and is due to be considered by the council’s Planning Committee in October.

Should planning permission be granted, the council hopes that work on the scheme will start at the end of the year with residents moving in at the end of next year.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    13 years ago

    The blocks of flats in the Hove Station vicinity are ideal (flat ground, close to transport links)for older and disabled people. Instead of transferring every flat to Seaside Homes when vacated, BHCC should be harvesting them as set-asides for allocation to the elderly. Extra care could easily be achieved there too.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Government awards £2.5m towards cost of flats for old people in Brighton

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
August 2013
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News