Smoke alarm saves Brighton couple from house fire

Posted On 18 Mar 2014 at 3:21 pm

A Brighton couple were saved from a severe fire at their home in the early hours by a working smoke alarm, the fire service said.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the kitchen fire was reported shortly after 2.30am today (Tuesday 18 March) in Coombe Vale, Saltdean.

The fire service said: “On arrival crews confirmed smoke was issuing from the property.

“Fortunately, the owners had been woken by a working smoke alarm and were standing outside the building.

The Spearhead

“The fire had started in the kitchen fire and had subsequently developed into a very severe fire.

“The property was severely smokelogged.

“Crews used four breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze and also to search for the occupier’s pets. All the pets, which included cats and parrots, were rescued.

“An ambulance was requested for one female suffering smoke inhalation.”

White Watch Crew Manager Andy Cornford, from Preston Circus Fire Station in Brighton, said: “There is no question that having a working smoke alarm in this instance has saved lives.

“Because of how quickly the fire developed along with the severity of the smoke spread, if there hadn’t been a working smoke alarm, the consequences would have been extremely serious.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.