• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Utility company fined for overrunning Brighton gasworks

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 13 Nov, 2015 at 8:17AM
A A
0
Utility company fined for overrunning Brighton gasworks

A utility company which spent weeks doing gasworks in Carden Avenue, leaving grass verges ripped up and pavements damaged, is now facing a fine for overrunning its permit.

Carden Avenue gasworks
Brighton and Hove City Council is charging Southern Gas Networks for occupying the road two days longer than they planned, as the site had not been cleared on Tuesday this week and their permit ran out last Friday.

The contractor has said it will make good the damage it has caused, and ward councillors have vowed to make sure they don’t take as long to fix the problems as they did laying the pipes.

Cllr Lee Wares said: “Works on our roads and pavement are, in most cases, essential to maintain services, carry out repairs, ensure public safety or enhance an area.

“These are the sort of works that we need carried out, and expect for them to happen but, it is rare they do not cause disruption or inconvenience. In many instances we see little tangible evidence of improvement and might wonder what it was all about.

“Works in Carden Avenue to the gas mains might fit into that category especially when it took so long. Although, we will all benefit from the massive investment to replace our gas mains to continue the safe supply for many years to come.”

“But, we expect the council to have oversight and ensure the disruption is as minimal as possible and completed on time. I’m pleased that the council took a sensible approach to issuing a fine when the permit date was not met in Carden Avenue.

“I acknowledge it is a purely punitive measure but sometimes that is necessary to make sure contractors are focused on delivering their projects.

“There has to be a flexible approach by the council to prevent rushed and shoddy workmanship to avoid a fine but, when that flexibility has no further elasticity, as with Carden Avenue, issuing fines is proportionate and reasonable.

“Although residents won’t directly feel the benefit of the fine being issued, notwithstanding the work being complete and their lives returning back to some normality, I suspect they may feel at least some justice has been done. We will of course continue to monitor the situation to ensure that the area is fully reinstated before being satisfied.”

A council spokeswoman said: “”Southern Gas Networks’ permit for work in Carden Avenue ended on Friday (November 6) and as the site had not been cleared on Monday and Tuesday of this week we will be sending them a charge for occupying the road longer for two days longer than planned.

“Charges for over-running  street works are not new – they have been issued by the council since at least 2007. They are among a range of measures used by the council to keep the city moving, including a roadworks permit scheme introduced earlier this year to reduce disruption.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Utility company fined for overrunning Brighton gasworks

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 4: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 3: 20 reviews)

22 May 2026
Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

Penelope Isles announce concert dates including 2 Brighton gigs

22 May 2026
Sound Of Wunderlich, Brighton Fringe, 21st May 2026

The Mayhem of The Sound Of Wunderlich

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
November 2015
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News