• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Fresh hope for Madeira Terraces as conservation expert says repair bill has been vastly overestimated

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 24 May, 2016 at 2:39PM
A A
2
Brighton seafront study wins national praise

Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost

A specialist surveyor believes fixing the Madeira Terraces would be “comparatively simple” after visiting the site last week.

Madeira terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost
Madeira Terraces fenced off. Picture by Ken Frost

The Morton Partnership was commissioned by the Victorian Society to look again at the terraces after the society discovered Brighton and Hove City Council’s survey had been carried out by transport specialists with no experience of conservation work.

Last week, Brian Morton and Cedric Profitt, who worked on the Albert Memorial, came down to Brighton and both now agree that if the cast iron work can be repaired satisfactorily, the cost of repairs will be a fraction of the figure originally estimated.

Mr Morton wrote to the Victorian Society to say: “We formed the opinion that the whole proposal is comparatively simple and certainly the question of recasting elements of the iron work.

“We have existing elements to recast, which is simple to manufacture once a new moulding is made.

“The structure overall is also quite simple and fairly easy to cost, but in order to get an accurate figure for grant aid etc, a detailed survey will be required indicating the number of elements that need replacing.

“There is nothing we see it difficult about the process.

“Myself and my colleague formed the opinion that the engineer who we met from the road section of the council simply did not believe that the cast iron structure could be repaired at all because, as he said, ‘you can’t repair cast iron’.”

He added that the initial council survey had made the job more complicated than necessary, and therefore the estimated cost of repairs was “very much higher” than a “realistic report will suggest”.

Mr Morton’s full letter can be read here.

The Victorian Society’s conservation officer Alex Bowring said: “The Victorian Society is reassured that the Morton Partnership believes that the restoration of Madeira Terrace is likely to be simpler than the Council had initially feared.

“We urge the Council to commission a new full structural survey from a firm with proven historic buildings experience.

“Madeira Terrace is too an important Brighton landmark to rush into decisions about its future.”

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove City Council said it had no new response, and repeated the statement it made earlier this month when the new site visit was first arranged.

It then said: “The council has carried out a full structural investigation and the findings, plus the council’s further monitoring of the structure, have been shared with the Victorian Society.

“We have given the Victorian Society permission to obtain its own analysis of the structure to assess its future viability and another view would be interesting in helping us work with heritage partners to find a sustainable solution for the Madeira Terraces.

“We are currently exploring how to fund a project that would also need to pay for maintaining the Madeira Terraces in good condition into the next century. As a listed structure any changes would need the consent of English Heritage.

“We are planning to report back in the summer on what funding opportunities may be available for Madeira Terraces and how the council is supporting the wider regeneration of the seafront.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Chris says:
    10 years ago

    So is the council going to pay any credence to an expert’s view, or is it a matter of “we know best and have already made our minds up” and the residents will have to foot the bill if they can’t get a full grant.

    Warren Morgan – after your recent statement this is just the sort of thing that needs a lot more checking before any contract is issued.

    Reply
  2. Gary F says:
    10 years ago

    Firstly…… Shouldn’t these be listed and secondly even if they’re not, they’re so iconic only a madman would consider not repairing them.

    Well done the Victorian Society!!!

    How and where can I make a donation? To start with you can have the £15 Of which I’ll save from not going on the totally pointless i360.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Fresh hope for Madeira Terraces as conservation expert says repair bill has been vastly overestimated

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2016
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News