• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Plans for block of 350 student flats off Lewes Road meet with early opposition

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 2 Oct, 2018 at 4:35PM
A A
0
Plans for block of 350 student flats off Lewes Road meet with early opposition


Plans for a block of 350 student flats off the Lewes Road have already attracted a clutch of objections from residents just days after being submitted.

Developers Vita want to knock down the old six-storey Enterprise Point building and replace it with a nine-storey block containing 350 studio flats for students, 20 affordable homes and offices on the ground floor.

It held a public consultation before the plans were formally submitted, and in its application says that the “vast majority” of residents said the development would be an improvement on the disused office block.

However, of the nine public comments already submitted, just one supports the application and ward councillor Dick Page has also written a letter of objection.

Cllr Page said: “I must object in the strongest possible terms . . . In February a developer was canvassing us about approximately 87 student units on this site. Now it has grown to 350.

“This neighbourhood has an excess of HMOs already and purpose built student blocks similarly contribute to an imbalance in the local population, with temporary residents who are more likely to cause late night noise and nuisance.

“There are a number of other blocks in the immediate vicinity on the Lewes Road, not to mention the massive Preston Barracks student accommodation in construction, some 5-600 metres to the north.

“In addition the development replaces the big small business block of Enterprise Point with just one ground floor of ‘office space’ and at nine floors may be too high and overbearing.

“If we have to accommodate more and more students off-campus, I see no reason why blocks cannot be dispersed away from the ‘academic corridor’ to places like Woodingdean, East Brighton and Hove, which mostly have (or could easily have) good transport links to the universities.

“To grant this massive addition in student numbers would clearly tell settled residents that the council does not care about their wellbeing, community or primary schools.”

In its application, Vita said: “The vast majority of local people fed back that this proposed redevelopment will be an improvement to the existing Enterprise Point.

“Whilst there was some concern raised about having more students in the area, there was a positive response to delivering properly managed student accommodation, with 24/7 staffing and the likelihood of overseas students being residents.

“There was also support for the affordable homes being offered on site. There was enthusiasm for the improved design of the site compared to the previously approved scheme, with enhanced architectural details, stepped design and emphasis made to the active frontages of the block.

“The main concerns about the proposals centred on the increased demand for car parking on neighbouring streets, the impact of increased residents in the area on congestion and services.”

The application did not state how many people had attended the public consultation, which was held on the afternoon of 12 July at the URC Church Hall.

Vita is the latest in a clutch of large student housing blocks to be developed along the Lewes Road. Others include three blocks (one completed, two approved) at the Vogue Gyratory, the huge Preston Barracks scheme, and the earmarking of part of the Lewes Road bus depot for at least 250 flats in the draft city plan, published earlier this year.

Enterprise Point was previously home to the popular Access to Music music college, which closed in summer 2016.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Plans for block of 350 student flats off Lewes Road meet with early opposition

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
October 2018
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News