• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Changes to homes plan on Brighton laundry site provoke neighbours’ opposition

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 1 Nov, 2018 at 3:04PM
A A
1
Changes to homes plan on Brighton laundry site provoke neighbours’ opposition

The Crescent Road laundry site

Changes to plans for new homes on the site of a former Brighton laundry have provoked opposition from neighbours.

Developer AMF Property Investments is building four homes on the Crescent Road site by partially demolishing existing buildings, after planning permission was granted two years ago.

Now a proposal to change the original internal layout – from two-bedroom homes to three-bedroom homes – is due to go before Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee next Wednesday (7 November).

Neighbours have sent 24 letters of objection raising concerns about overlooking, overdevelopment and noise. They said that changes were made before permission has been granted.

Crescent Road residents Elizabeth and James Miles are concerned about changes to windows and an extra bedroom in the new layouts.

In their objection letter they said: “In total there is an increase in four bedrooms over the site. In our eyes this is overdevelopment.

“This has implications to the level of noise in a previously quiet area. It will also increase the amount of cars that will be coming and going and parking in Crescent Road.”

Zoe Cutting, who lives in Belton Road, which backs on to the site, is concerned about extra bedrooms, changes to the design and smells from bin stores.

She said: “The number of bedrooms on the site have increased by four which will result in even more disturbance, overlooking and loss of privacy for existing residents as a greater number or people will now access the site mere yards from windows and adjacent to gardens.

“Along with this is the added generation of rubbish and recycling on this plot which has very limited access to the public road.”

The Conservation Advisory Group, which is represented on the Planning Committee, also opposes the project, describing it as an overdevelopment of the site in the Round Hill conservation area.

St Peter’s and North Laine councillor Pete West, a Green, asked the council Planning Enforcement Team to check that windows complied with the existing planning permission after receiving “messages of concern” from neighbours.

The Crescent Road laundry site

Julia Mitchell, a planner at agent Stiles Harold Williams, sent a statement to the council in July aimed at addressing people’s concerns.

She said that the amendments were to remove two windows which would reduce overlooking and all other windows above the ground floor were already approved.

Regarding the increased number of bedrooms she said: “Any increase in residents as a result of the additional bedroom in each unit will result in a negligible increase in activity at the site compared to the approved development.”

She said that the council’s City Plan Part One said that 36 per cent of housing needs to be three-bedroom.

Officials have recommended that councillors approve the application to amend the plans.

The scheme is due to be discussed by the council’s Planning Committee at a meeting at Hove Town Hall next Wednesday (7 November).

The meeting should start at 2pm and is expected to take place in public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Benny says:
    8 years ago

    When did any change/development in Brighton fail to get someone complaining about it? No wonder the place is so scruffy. The fact there are little clubs (sorry, societies! Pfft) of complainers says it all.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Changes to homes plan on Brighton laundry site provoke neighbours’ opposition

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News