• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Changes to homes plan on Brighton laundry site provoke neighbours’ opposition

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 1 Nov, 2018 at 3:04PM
A A
1
Changes to homes plan on Brighton laundry site provoke neighbours’ opposition

The Crescent Road laundry site

Changes to plans for new homes on the site of a former Brighton laundry have provoked opposition from neighbours.

Developer AMF Property Investments is building four homes on the Crescent Road site by partially demolishing existing buildings, after planning permission was granted two years ago.

Now a proposal to change the original internal layout – from two-bedroom homes to three-bedroom homes – is due to go before Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee next Wednesday (7 November).

Neighbours have sent 24 letters of objection raising concerns about overlooking, overdevelopment and noise. They said that changes were made before permission has been granted.

Crescent Road residents Elizabeth and James Miles are concerned about changes to windows and an extra bedroom in the new layouts.

In their objection letter they said: “In total there is an increase in four bedrooms over the site. In our eyes this is overdevelopment.

“This has implications to the level of noise in a previously quiet area. It will also increase the amount of cars that will be coming and going and parking in Crescent Road.”

Zoe Cutting, who lives in Belton Road, which backs on to the site, is concerned about extra bedrooms, changes to the design and smells from bin stores.

She said: “The number of bedrooms on the site have increased by four which will result in even more disturbance, overlooking and loss of privacy for existing residents as a greater number or people will now access the site mere yards from windows and adjacent to gardens.

“Along with this is the added generation of rubbish and recycling on this plot which has very limited access to the public road.”

The Conservation Advisory Group, which is represented on the Planning Committee, also opposes the project, describing it as an overdevelopment of the site in the Round Hill conservation area.

St Peter’s and North Laine councillor Pete West, a Green, asked the council Planning Enforcement Team to check that windows complied with the existing planning permission after receiving “messages of concern” from neighbours.

The Crescent Road laundry site

Julia Mitchell, a planner at agent Stiles Harold Williams, sent a statement to the council in July aimed at addressing people’s concerns.

She said that the amendments were to remove two windows which would reduce overlooking and all other windows above the ground floor were already approved.

Regarding the increased number of bedrooms she said: “Any increase in residents as a result of the additional bedroom in each unit will result in a negligible increase in activity at the site compared to the approved development.”

She said that the council’s City Plan Part One said that 36 per cent of housing needs to be three-bedroom.

Officials have recommended that councillors approve the application to amend the plans.

The scheme is due to be discussed by the council’s Planning Committee at a meeting at Hove Town Hall next Wednesday (7 November).

The meeting should start at 2pm and is expected to take place in public.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Benny says:
    7 years ago

    When did any change/development in Brighton fail to get someone complaining about it? No wonder the place is so scruffy. The fact there are little clubs (sorry, societies! Pfft) of complainers says it all.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Benny Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Changes to homes plan on Brighton laundry site provoke neighbours’ opposition

Man found dead in house this morning

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News