• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Babes in the Wood trial – family friend denies giving false alibi

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 21 Nov, 2018 at 3:33PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

A Brighton woman was accused of giving a false alibi for Barrie Fellows – the father of one of the Babes in the Wood murder victims.

Family friend Teresa Judd denied covering up for Mr Fellows when accounting for his movements on the day that his daughter Nicola Fellows and her friend Karen Hadaway, both nine, disappeared.

The two girls, both from Newick Road, Moulsecoomb, were found murdered in nearby Wild Park the next day (Friday 10 October), having been strangled and sexually assaulted.

Teresa Judd was questioned at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – as the final prosecution witness in the trial of Russell Bishop.

The 52-year-old former roofer, who lived in Stephens Road, Hollingdean, faces two charges of murder which he denies.

Bishop’s defence includes a claim that Barrie Fellows was responsible for the girls’ deaths.

Bishop’s barrister, Joel Bennathan, asked Mr Fellows yesterday about his movements after leaving work in Hove on the day when the girls were killed.

Mr Bennathan suggested that there a missing hour for which Mr Fellows had no alibi.

But today Teresa Judd – who has since reverted to her maiden name as Teresa Talmey – backed up the version of events given by Mr Fellows.

She said that he came to the Judds’ home with his friend Dougie Judd while her then-husband Steve Judd was working away in Manchester with Lee Hadaway, the father of Karen Hadaway.

Steve was the brother of Dougie, who was a friend of Russell Bishop and who lived as a lodger at the home of Barrie Fellows.

Mr Bennathan said: “Thirty-two years ago Barrie Fellows asked you to give him a false alibi, didn’t her?”
Teresa Talmey said: “No.”

She said that Mr Fellows had sent Dougie Judd on ahead to tell his wife that he would soon be home for dinner. He then stayed for about 20 minutes before heading home himself.

Mr Fellows went back to see Teresa Judd later that evening when the girls had not returned home, giving her £5 and a packet of cigarettes, she said.

Mr Bennathan asked why she had not mentioned – during house-to-house inquiries by the police – the first visit by Mr Fellows that evening.

She said that she had already done so when making a statement the day before.

Mr Bennathan asked her about a visit from the police in the summer of last year when she was quizzed questions about her statement from 1986.

He said: “The police came round to speak to you and also speak to your ex-husband, because what they were investigating was this – that your ex-husband had said you had confessed to him that you had given Barrie Fellows a false alibi.”

Miss Talmey said: “A load of rubbish. That definitely ain’t true.”

She said: “I could not remember the details but I know I had seen Barrie and Dougie.

“They came in my house. They stood by my living room door. I said that in my statement.

“I speak to my ex-husband every single day. I have done since I divorced him.

“I only phoned police once to say I’m sticking with my statement because you have got 30 years and my original statement must be the correct statement.”

Mr Bennathan said: “You have been left in a terrible position because – no doubt thinking it was harmless – you did Barrie a favour, saying that he spent time at your house when he did not.”

Miss Talmey replied: “One hundred per cent absolutely not. Barrie was at my house. I swear. I wouldn’t lie on the Bible.”

Brian Altman, prosecuting, said: “What this gentleman is suggesting, on instruction, is that you supplied Barrie and Dougie with a false alibi to cover up his movements that evening.

“Was any of that a lie?”

Miss Talmey said: “No. I swear. One hundred per cent never. Never!”

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Babes in the Wood trial – family friend denies giving false alibi

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News