• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Traders’ frustration at unit left empty by dodgy restaurateur

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 23 Nov, 2018 at 3:15PM
A A
4
Brighton seafront restaurant fined £7.2k over mouse droppings

A seafront restaurant forced to close after the owner was fined for mouse droppings then lost his alcohol licence has been empty for more than a year and other traders are unhappy about it.

Azure, owned by Max Mazurenko, lost its alcohol licence in October 2016 when a panel heard it had attempted to get round licensing conditions by serving free cups of cold pasta alongside drinks.

But although the restaurant in Lower Promenade closed, Mr Mazurenko still has the 25-year lease, which lasts until 2028. It was briefly let to another tenant, Natasha Aghiros, who opened a restaurant called Fluid there for a few months over the summer of 2017.

But by autumn it was closed, and in January a repossession notice went up. The unit was again advertised to let in April, but no new tenant has yet come forward, and meanwhile the restaurant’s distinctive blue shutters have been a regular target for graffiti vandals.

One trader whose shop is a few doors down, is calling on the council to step in and take back the lease, saying the empty unit is dragging down an area of the seafront already suffering from neglect.

Ken Frost, who runs Oh So Swedish with partner Eva Hellqvist, said: “What was once a thriving business (under a previous experienced seaside trader) is now a derelict site that negatively impacts the brand value of Brighton beach, and the turnover of neighbouring businesses.

“The council should strip the incumbent of the lease and, in the short-term whilst looking for a long term solution and competent trader/business, allow pop up traders to use the site before it rots from non use.”

The empty restaurant’s next door neighbours, the C:\Side Quest games cafe, are in another unit previously leased by Mr Mazurenko, which he gutted but never used before surrendered the lease.

Co-owner James Dance said: “It’s a venue that we have put offers in on because it’s linked to ours. But in our opinion the price isn’t reflective of what we would be able to afford, and spend to do just the same basic refurb we had to do with our unit, things that no customer would see like new power and floorboards.

“It’s not ideal that it’s sitting empty because of the regeneration of the area. But I would rather it was empty than have something pop up and then close over the winter.”

A council spokesperson said: “The council owns 9-11 Lower Promenade. In 2013 we agreed a 25-year lease with XTO Ltd for these properties.

“The tenant surrendered the lease to Number 11 in December 2014. Number 11 is now leased to Indie Holdings and operates as C:\ Side Quest.

“Issues around the use of these properties or any sub-letting arrangements at them would be a matter for the leaseholders, not the council.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Rolivan says:
    7 years ago

    Perhaps a Launderette would be appropriate?

    Reply
    • Fred smith says:
      7 years ago

      😁

      Reply
    • Jon says:
      7 years ago

      Did you look at XTO’s Companies house data ? Regeristing a company in the UK is a bit of a laugh

      Reply
  2. Fred says:
    7 years ago

    Interesting to see that he changed his name, date of birth and nationality in the companies house records.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Jon Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Traders’ frustration at unit left empty by dodgy restaurateur

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News