• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Traders’ frustration at unit left empty by dodgy restaurateur

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 23 Nov, 2018 at 3:15PM
A A
4
Brighton seafront restaurant fined £7.2k over mouse droppings

A seafront restaurant forced to close after the owner was fined for mouse droppings then lost his alcohol licence has been empty for more than a year and other traders are unhappy about it.

Azure, owned by Max Mazurenko, lost its alcohol licence in October 2016 when a panel heard it had attempted to get round licensing conditions by serving free cups of cold pasta alongside drinks.

But although the restaurant in Lower Promenade closed, Mr Mazurenko still has the 25-year lease, which lasts until 2028. It was briefly let to another tenant, Natasha Aghiros, who opened a restaurant called Fluid there for a few months over the summer of 2017.

But by autumn it was closed, and in January a repossession notice went up. The unit was again advertised to let in April, but no new tenant has yet come forward, and meanwhile the restaurant’s distinctive blue shutters have been a regular target for graffiti vandals.

One trader whose shop is a few doors down, is calling on the council to step in and take back the lease, saying the empty unit is dragging down an area of the seafront already suffering from neglect.

Ken Frost, who runs Oh So Swedish with partner Eva Hellqvist, said: “What was once a thriving business (under a previous experienced seaside trader) is now a derelict site that negatively impacts the brand value of Brighton beach, and the turnover of neighbouring businesses.

“The council should strip the incumbent of the lease and, in the short-term whilst looking for a long term solution and competent trader/business, allow pop up traders to use the site before it rots from non use.”

The empty restaurant’s next door neighbours, the C:\Side Quest games cafe, are in another unit previously leased by Mr Mazurenko, which he gutted but never used before surrendered the lease.

Co-owner James Dance said: “It’s a venue that we have put offers in on because it’s linked to ours. But in our opinion the price isn’t reflective of what we would be able to afford, and spend to do just the same basic refurb we had to do with our unit, things that no customer would see like new power and floorboards.

“It’s not ideal that it’s sitting empty because of the regeneration of the area. But I would rather it was empty than have something pop up and then close over the winter.”

A council spokesperson said: “The council owns 9-11 Lower Promenade. In 2013 we agreed a 25-year lease with XTO Ltd for these properties.

“The tenant surrendered the lease to Number 11 in December 2014. Number 11 is now leased to Indie Holdings and operates as C:\ Side Quest.

“Issues around the use of these properties or any sub-letting arrangements at them would be a matter for the leaseholders, not the council.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Rolivan says:
    8 years ago

    Perhaps a Launderette would be appropriate?

    Reply
    • Fred smith says:
      8 years ago

      😁

      Reply
    • Jon says:
      8 years ago

      Did you look at XTO’s Companies house data ? Regeristing a company in the UK is a bit of a laugh

      Reply
  2. Fred says:
    8 years ago

    Interesting to see that he changed his name, date of birth and nationality in the companies house records.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Traders’ frustration at unit left empty by dodgy restaurateur

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
November 2018
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News