• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove Greens urge council to spend £8m tackling housing crisis

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 16 Jan, 2019 at 2:38PM
A A
1
Student housing issues raised at Brighton meeting

Brighton and Hove Greens are calling on the council to spend an extra £8 million to tackle the housing crisis.

They want to take advantage of the council’s underused borrowing capacity to build more council housing and provide more emergency accommodation.

Councillor David Gibson plans to pitch for the extra funding when Brighton and Hove City Council’s Housing and New Homes Committee meets at Hove Town Hall this afternoon (Wednesday 16 January).

Councillor Gibson said that money was available for borrowing for housing but was currently being “sat on” and should be used to urgently tackle the shortage of affordable homes in Brighton and Hove.

There is, he said,  £31 million unspent under the old borrowing cap which limited the amount councils could borrow for capital projects such as housing schemes.

The Greens’ proposals to use these unspent resources would, they said, boost the council’s housing budget by up to £8 million, reverse a planned housing budget cut and increase the money available to address the housing crisis.

If approved, the Greens want to see £3.5 million of the budget used to purchase council-run emergency homeless accommodation, a move which they say will save public money.

Reports last year revealed that the cost to the council of buying emergency accommodation from private landlords had increased every year since 2015, with losses to the council increasing by as much as 500 per cent across the past four years.

The party also wants a further £3.5 million to be used to build more council housing – and to ensure that tenants are offered genuinely affordable “social” and “living” rents.

Councillor David Gibson

Councillor Gibson said: “Despite the housing and homelessness crisis affecting our city, the Labour council has been sitting on some unspent resources available through permitted borrowing.

“Greens want to see this money put to use to address housing needs in our city now.

“Our proposals will reverse the planned cut to our city’s housing budget – restoring it instead to the same level as last year, so more resources are available to spend on housing projects.

“We want this budget to be used to provide much-needed long term affordable homes and emergency accommodation for the homeless, instead of seeing public money go to private landlords.

“Greens are also pushing for a new housing budget to fund new council homes at truly affordable social, or living rents.

“Our city desperately needs new council homes – and housing offered at rents that residents can comfortably afford to live on.

“With Brighton and Hove one of the most expensive places in the UK to rent or buy, we are hoping all parties support our call to boost our city’s supply of genuinely affordable homes and council-run emergency accommodation.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Hovettes says:
    7 years ago

    BHCC spends millions of taxpayers pounds on revolting, tired, shabby, soiled, stained, shipped, slum, emergency accommodation in privately run HMOs. No requirement to meet Decent Homes Standards, no contracts, no regular inspections, BHCC brazenly turns a blind eye to transgressions from HMO licences and unlawful renovations. Readily pays >4X the going rate (LHA rate) for accommodation that does not pass the “smell test” and which no-one would live in themselves or consider value for money to the taxpayer. Further, BHCC Adult Social Care dumps seriously ill and vulnerable people in such slums on the pretence of fulfilling their accommodation and care commitments, whilst having informal “supervision” arrangements with the slum landlords. It is a huge racket that has been going on for years and must be investigated.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Brighton and Hove Greens urge council to spend £8m tackling housing crisis

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News