• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Patisserie Valerie enters administration

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 22 Jan, 2019 at 10:20PM
A A
0
You can have your cake and eat it as future of two Brighton and Hove patisseries assured

A cake shop chain with two branches in Brighton and Hove has entered into administration after its banks – Barclays and HSBC – pulled the plug.

Patisserie Valerie, which has branches in Western Road, Hove, and East Street, Brighton, has been teetering on the financial brink since a multimillion-pound fraud came to light in the autumn.

The company’s future looked assured after entrepreneur Luke Johnson arranged an emergency bail-out in October.

Mr Johnson, who owns the Palace Pier, lent £20 million to Patisserie Valerie. He serves as the cake shop chain’s chairman.

But last week the company said that the devastating fraud was worse than previously thought.

Patisserie Valerie has about 200 cafés and 2,800 staff – and the administrators, from KPMG, are expected to try to sell as many profitable branches as possible.

After talks with the banks failed to buy the business more time to put its finances straight, Mr Johnson personally pledged to make sure that the staff were still paid their wages for January.

In a stock exchange announcement, the company said: “Patisserie Holdings PLC announces today that, as a direct result of the significant fraud referred to in previous announcements, it has been unable to renew its bank facilities, and therefore regrettably the business does not have sufficient funding to meet its liabilities as they fall due.

“As a consequence, the directors have appointed partners at KPMG as administrators to the company and its various subsidiaries.

“The chairman Luke Johnson has personally extended an unsecured, interest-free loan of £3 million to help ensure that the January wages are paid to all staff working in the ongoing business.

“This loan will also assist the administrators in trading as many profitable stores as possible while a sale process is undertaken.”

The Labour MP for Hove, Peter Kyle, said: “It will be a real shame if we lose another loved brand from our community.”

Mr Kyle, a member of the House of Commons Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee, said: “It’s even more frustrating that its loss isn’t to do with quality or demand but mismanagement and corruption.

“We expect better from our retailers and the audit industry that should expose this kind of corporate malpractice and be fighting for lessons to be learned.”

His committee has been in contact with Patisserie Valerie since the fraud came to light.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Patisserie Valerie enters administration

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News