• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

First image of new Hippodrome plans released

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 25 Jan, 2019 at 9:59AM
A A
1
First image of new Hippodrome plans released

An artist's impression of Hipp's Hippodrome plans


The new owners of the Brighton Hippodrome have released the first image of their proposed plans for the at-risk theatre.

HIPP Investments bought the Hippodrome in November 2017 after plans to convert it into a cinema fell through – and despite attempts by a campaign group to buy it and restore it.

HIPP Investments says it also wants to restore the theatre – but also build a 74-room hotel with spa as well as 26 apartments on the site.

Theatre campaigners fear that the plans may involve demolishing the theatre’s fly-tower, which holds the scenery needed for major touring productions, as well as building on the part of the site which gives access for large lorries to unload sets.

Both these elements of the theatre are now protected under the planning process after the city’s Old Town Conservation Area Management Plan was approved with a clause protecting the fly tower and yard.

Full details of HIPP’s plans are not yet available and no application has been made to Brighton and Hove City Council’s planning department.

However HIPP says two public consultation events will be held in mid-February, where full details of the plans will be revealed, with dates and details to be released shortly.

The Hippodrome in July last year. Image from Google Streetview

Aized Sheikh, CEO of HIPP Investments, said: “The Hippodrome is an iconic building with an incredible past and, if left unchecked, will be lost to future generations who will never be able to appreciate its history and splendour.

“We hope to create a theatre that will become a cultural mainstay for the city for decades to come, in an area that is in dire need of regeneration.

“A strategic plan for the refurbishment of theatre is being drawn up including timescales for a phased development programme. Ultimately, our vision is for the Hippodrome to be run as a non-profit entity by professionals who understand where it will sit amongst Brighton’s theatres.”

A spokeswoman for the Theatres Trust, which this week announced the Hippodrome topped its at risk register for the seventh year running, said: “Brighton Hippodrome has been on our Theatres at Risk Register since it began and continues to top this list, as announced on Tuesday, scoring the maximum points for its significance and community value.

“Not only is it the UK’s most architecturally significant circus theatre – the finest surviving example of its type in the country – but a viability study has shown it could have a future as large-scale theatre, which Brighton currently lacks.

“It is critical that any development of the site includes a fully funded restoration of the theatre which will preserve its capacity to function as a large scale venue for performance.

“Brighton cannot currently present large scale dance, theatre and other performance and a fully restored Hippodrome operating on a commercial basis would be an important and exciting addition to Brighton’s vibrant cultural scene as well as generating significant regeneration of the area and economic benefit to the city.

“We will be interested to see the full plans when they are released and will be responding to the planning application in our role as statutory consultee.”

The plans for the theatre, which has lain empty since 2007 and has topped the Theatre Trust’s at-risk register for several years, are being drawn up by LCE Architects and engineers ARUP has been appointed to conduct a viability study of the theatre and its future potential.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Foz says:
    8 years ago

    You can’t get lorries in there,so you would never get full touring productions
    Sorry

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

First image of new Hippodrome plans released

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News