• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Cityclean safety breaches could see service pulled from streets, union claims

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 14 Mar, 2019 at 12:53PM
A A
1
Brighton and Hove street cleaners pick up national award

Cityclean staff at work in St James's Street in Brighton

A 2016 picture of Citycleanworkers in St James’s Street

A catalogue of health and safety breaches could see Cityclean vehicles pulled from the city’s streets, the GMB union warns today.

GMB Sussex says hundreds of jobs could be at threat because the city council has failed to accurately record basic requirements such as vehicle checks.

The council says “serious issues” were uncovered in recent months following a change of management at Cityclean, after which it discovered safety standards were not being met.

Last week, the city council approached GMB to ask for help in putting the department’s record keeping back on track after reporting the issues to the Traffic Commissioner, who has the power to withdraw Cityclean’s operating licence.

But the union says it fears its reps, who it says are already being targeted by management, are being set up to take the blame.

It is now calling for chief executive Geoff Raw and executive director of Economy, Environment and Culture Nick Hibberd to resign, saying it has lost confidence in their management.

Mark Turner, GMB Sussex branch secretary said: “In all my time and historical involvement with Cityclean, involving all the various management structures and personnel I have come in contact with, I’ve never seen such basic incompetence which has led us to having the threat of having the city’s operating licence withdrawn and the service shut before.

“In doing so they potentially have endangered the livelihoods of every employee working within the service and have only recently brought this to the attention of GMB because it appears they now require union reps and members’ assistance to get them out of a very deep hole with the Traffic Commissioners.

“It must be said that strangely those will of course be the same union reps the council require the assistance of now, who have come under increasing unfair scrutiny and unsanctioned investigatory and reporting processes, or to give it its real name management bullying by the council over recent months.”

One of the standards which have not been met is checking vehicle weights, which could result in heavy or overloaded trucks not being able to brake quickly enough in an emergency.

The GMB told Brighton and Hove News that the council appears to also have lost records of drivers’ own medical and competency checks.

A council spokesperson said: “We’re fully committed to working with the trade unions. Providing safe public services for the city is our number one shared priority.

“Over the last six months we’ve undertaken a number of initiatives to make Cityclean a fairer and safer place to work and have sought to involve unions wherever possible and where change has been needed.

“These initiatives are being led by the new assistant director of city environment [Rachel Chasseud] strongly supported by her director [Mr Hibberd] and the chief executive [Mr Raw].

“As a result of recent changes in senior management at Cityclean, some serious issues have been uncovered which have required urgent action. We reject any claims of inappropriate action or processes against staff.

“Through the work of one of our new Cityclean managers it was learned that the safety standards required by the Traffic Commissioner – the independent regulator of the commercial road transport industry – were not being met.

“The standards relate to the vehicles used by the City Environment service and statutory staff checks.

“As is our legal duty, we reported this immediately to the Traffic Commissioner and jointly we agreed the immediate actions needed to meet the expected standards.

“Thank you to all Cityclean staff who have worked quickly and collaboratively to improve safety and service reliability. This is an ongoing team effort.

“Our progress is being reported regularly to the Traffic Commissioner.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Un-Tidy Street resident says:
    7 years ago

    Sounds to me like the management are doing their job properly if the GMB are squealing.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Cityclean safety breaches could see service pulled from streets, union claims

New bus route to start next month

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News