• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Chief nurse to leave Brighton hospitals trust

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 27 Mar, 2019 at 10:50AM
A A
2
Inquest jury criticises Brighton hospital bosses over death of patient who drank cleaning fluid

Nicola Ranger

The chief nurse of Brighton’s main hospital trust has quit for a new job in London.

Nicola Ranger

Nicola Ranger will leave her role as chief nursing and patient safety officer at Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust (BSUH) in June.

The trust runs the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Royal Alexandra Children’s Hospital and Sussex Eye Hospital in Brighton as well as the Princess Royal Hospital in Haywards Heath.

Ms Ranger joined the board when the current executive team – from the neighbouring Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – took over BSUH in April 2017.

She holds the same post on the Western board and, at the end of July, will become chief nurse and director of nursing and midwifery at King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. King’s is one of the biggest and busiest hospitals in Britain.

In Brighton and at Western she will be replaced by two chief nurses – one for each of the trusts – with recruitment for the posts already under way.

BSUH chief executive Dame Marianne Griffiths said: “Our chief nurse Nicola Ranger will be leaving in June to take up a new opportunity at King’s in London.

“Nicola is a fantastic advocate for nursing and midwifery and also champions improvements to patient experience in many ways.

“I have sought views about nursing leadership and structure and had discussions with nursing colleagues across the trust over the past few weeks and, in light of this, am pleased to confirm our plans to further strengthen the voice of nursing at board level.

“The new BSUH structure will include a chief nurse, a voting trust board member, dedicated to BSUH.

“This is a change from the current structure where our chief nurse is a group role working across Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals and WSHT.

“There will now be a chief nurse at each organisation and the recruitment process for this post begins now.”

Ms Ranger previously worked at Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust as director of nursing for four and a half years years until early 2017.

She was part of the team that led Frimley Park to become the first acute hospital to be rated “outstanding” by the CQC.

Before this, she was deputy chief nurse at University College London Hospitals. Her clinical background was in intensive care nursing and she spent four years working in critical care units in New York and Washington DC.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Jean says:
    7 years ago

    Under the PR gloss at the Royal Sussex, much remains to be done. Some of the new ‘executive’ team from Western are pretty good, but they duck a genuine dialogue, unless they’re sure of getting the answers they want to hear. It would be good if the likes of Brighton and Hove News shone the spotlight of scrutiny a little brighter on the trust, asked hard questions and published the answers without fear or favour.

    Reply
  2. Kat Bell says:
    7 years ago

    Twice I’ve visited relatives at the Royal Sussex in the past six months and both times I felt the care on the wards was sub-optimal. Probably not enough to complain about and no single specific incident rang alarm bells. There’s a bit too much PC chat and psycho-babble from a few of the staff and not enough genuine nursing care. The low-grade health assistants had the best manner but seemed to lack real knowledge. It seemed the more knowledge or expertise someone had, the less they could be bothered to actually care for a patient. And once or twice I heard staff speak in a way that certainly wasn’t PC but bordered on racially offensive.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Chief nurse to leave Brighton hospitals trust

New bus route to start next month

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Irvine Welsh, Men In Love, Charleston Festival, 23rd May 2026

Irvine Welsh Delights The Charleston Festival

24 May 2026
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
March 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News