• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Sculptor selected for Brighton suffragette statue

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 3 Dec, 2019 at 7:32AM
A A
0
Sculptor selected for Brighton suffragette statue

Denise Dutton - Picture by Derek Tamea

Mary Clarke was the first suffragette to give her life for women’s right to vote but there is no public memorial to her anywhere in the country.

Mary Clarke

Brighton, where she lived and worked, has few memorials to women and no statues of women other than of Queen Victoria.

The Mary Clarke Statue Appeal was set up late last year to fund a statue of Mary Clarke as a symbol for the city of women’s rights, equality and democracy.

The appeal aims to site the statue in or near the Pavilion Estate where the suffrage movement had strong historic links.

The hope is to place it in the garden near the museum entrance where it can easily be seen by every school party, resident and visitor.

The appeal needs to raise £60,000.

In the past month

  • The Mary Clarke Statue Appeal has achieved charity status
  • Brighton and Hove City Council has granted £10,000 to fund a bronze maquette (model) of the planned statue
  • a sculptor has been chosen following a short competition

Denise Dutton MRSS, from Leek, in Staffordshire, has been appointed to make the initial bronze maquette of Mary Clarke and then, provided the funding can be secured, to make the statue.

Denise studied sculpture at the prestigious Sir Henry Doulton School of Sculpture in Stoke-on-Trent. She has worked on numerous commissions both public and private over the past 24 years.

Her works include the suffragette Annie Kenney, unveiled in Oldham in December last year, the Land Girl and Lumber Jill memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas which was unveiled in 2014, a portrait bust of Sir Neville Mott, who won the Nobel Prize for Physics, at the Mott Building, Cambridge, and a life-size equestrian statue of the last Maharajah of India, Duleep Singh.

Denise said: “I will be pleased to work with the trustees of the Mary Clarke Statue appeal and to be a part of realising their mission in bringing the memory of Mary’s life story to others through the statue.

“The making of a sculpture goes further than a sheer physical task. It’s also about the artist’s engagement with the subject.

“I feel empathy with Mary, for what for she endured through her life and what she fought for. These emotions will be ever present during the realisation of the commission.”

Denise Dutton – Picture by Derek Tamea

At the Mary Clarke Statue Appeal, we are delighted that Denise has agreed to take on this commission.

She is a fine sculptor with experience of producing inspirational commemorative work. She also has an excellent understanding of the suffrage movement because of the work she did on the sculpture of Annie Kenney.

At Mary’s memorial service in Brighton, local suffragette Isabella McKeown said: “Her they must not mourn in silence. They must take the torch from her and light the darkness.”

We are asking local people to take up the torch and support this campaign to commemorate Mary Clarke and the ideals for which she gave her life – freedom, democracy and equal rights.

To donate, visit https://maryclarkestatue.com. To support the appeal in other ways, contact jeancalder.mcsa@gmail.com.

Jean Calder is the chair of the Mary Clarke Statue Appeal.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Sculptor selected for Brighton suffragette statue

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
December 2019
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News