Ten residents evacuated after ammonia leak by station

Posted On 05 Dec 2019 at 9:23 am

Firefighters in Terminus Road – by The Record Album on Twitter


Ten people were evacuated from their homes last night because of a leaking ammonia cylinder in an old butchers shop.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue were called to the empty shop in Terminus Road near Brighton station yesterday lunchtime to investigate an “unusual smell”.

Shortly before 8pm, the council announced the leak had been identified as ammonia from a cylinder in the basement.

A council spokeswoman said: “Around 10 residents living in the immediate area have been displaced and all are being offered accommodation by our homelessness team.

“The council has an incident liaison officer at the scene.

“There are no reported casualties from this incident.

“People in the immediate area are being advised to avoid the area on Terminus Road and residents in the area should keep windows and doors closed.”

A spokeswoman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue said: “We were called at 1.39pm to a property on Terminus Place, Brighton following reports of a possible gas leak.

“Crews from Brighton, Roedean and Lewes attended. Crews used two breathing apparatus and a gas detection monitor to source the leak. The source of the leak was from an ammonia cylinder.

“At 9.27pm, we left the scene and the incident was left with the building’s owners and Brighton and Hove City Council.”

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.