• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Taxi drivers tell of concern for ‘meowing’ baby Victoria

by Emily Pennink - PA Old Bailey correspondent
Wednesday 31 Jan, 2024 at 4:22PM
A A
0
Taxi drivers tell of concern for ‘meowing’ baby Victoria

CCTV footage of Constance Marten holding baby Victoria under her coat with Mark Gordon arriving in East Ham High Street, London, which was shown in court during their trial

Taxi drivers have spoken of their “concerns” after picking up a wealthy aristocrat and her partner while they were on the run with their newborn baby.

Constance Marten, 36, and Mark Gordon, 49, are on trial at the Old Bailey accused of the manslaughter of their daughter Victoria.

It is alleged the couple travelled across England and lived off-grid in a bid to keep the baby after four other children were taken into care.

Jurors have viewed CCTV in which the child was allegedly carried under Marten’s coat, only being briefly glimpsed when the couple stopped in East Ham.

On Wednesday, the jury viewed more CCTV footage of the couple after they reached Whitechapel in east London.

While there, Gordon had bought a two-person tent and camping bedding, including a children’s unicorn sleeping bag, in Argos, the court was told.

The couple allegedly abandoned a buggy and were carrying Argos bags and a Lidl bag-for-life when they got into a black cab shortly after midnight on Sunday 8 January last year.

In a statement read to the court, taxi driver Abdirisakh Mohamud said that he became “suspicious” and “uncomfortable” during the journey.

The male passenger allegedly asked the driver if he was a Muslim, whether he was “trustworthy” and if there were cameras in the cab.

Mr Mohamud said that he told the man that there were cameras, even though there were not, because he wanted to feel “safe”.

The man then asked him: “Are you sharing this conversation with anyone?”

Jurors were told that Mr Mohamud said: “No.”

Mr Mohamud said in his statement that he feared “something was not right”.

He asked the couple why they were wearing blue covid facemasks and the woman said that she was a Muslim and it was her “hijab”, the court was told.

On being told by the driver that it was not a hijab, she allegedly told him that it was the only thing she had.

The man said that he wore a mask because he “had a problem with his hair”, the witness said.

Mr Mohamud said that he decided to drop the couple off early in Green Lanes, in Haringey, rather than at the Enfield Tesco Extra where they had asked to go.

He said: “The more I thought about it, the more concerned I felt about the baby.”

Another taxi driver Hasan Guzel described hearing “meowing” noises when he drove the defendants from Haringey to Newhaven in the early hours of Sunday 8 January.

He said in his statement that he had stopped when a woman waved at him and she told him to wait while her “friend” got in.

They initially asked to be taken to Portsmouth then changed the destination to Newhaven, jurors heard.

Mr Guzel said that he had charged them £475 for a three-hour trip.

Describing the woman, he said: “I thought she had a bag under her coat as she looked quite big in the chest area.”

During the journey, he said: “I heard what sounded like a cat meowing. I was annoyed at first because I thought she had a pet without telling me.

“I could see it was a baby. I could see the noise was coming from a baby.

“I thought, why didn’t she tell me about this. It’s been nearly four hours we have been travelling.”

He said that when he dropped them off in Newhaven, he saw it was cold and dark and he was “concerned as to what they were going to do next”.

The couple were captured on CCTV heading towards the South Downs at around 6.30am last January and were not spotted again until they resurfaced at a Texaco garage four days later, on Thursday 12 January.

Marten allegedly bought items including Haribo sweets, mini cheddars, matches, bottles of water and a filled glass bottle of petrol which she paid for in cash.

Gordon was filmed carrying the Lidl bag which then appeared to be blowing in the wind as if it was empty.

On the morning of Monday 16 January, Nicholas Frost allegedly spotted him emerging from a blue tent in woodland in Stanmer Park, Brighton.

In a statement, Mr Frost said that he and his wife had been walking their dog when he saw the man he later recognised from the news.

He said: “I thought to myself it was unusual because you never see people camping in that area. It was also very cold, not camping weather. It was about -2C.

“The male came out from inside the tent. This startled us and the male appeared to be startled as well.”

He added: “I definitely got the impression that he did not want to be seen.”

The witness said that the male was carrying two bags including an orange bag-for-life which “looked like it had stuff in it”.

Mary Thomsen, 66, told jurors that she was on a trip to Asda when she spotted a “bright blue” tent last February.

She said: “I said to my husband: ‘They must be bloody freezing or mad because no one would want to be out camping. It was so cold.’”

Mrs Thomsen said that the sighting played on her mind, saying: “For that time of year it was out of place.”

The court has heard how the couple became front-page news last January when Greater Manchester Police started a missing persons inquiry after finding a placenta in the couple’s burnt-out car on a motorway near Bolton.

The defendants spent hundreds of pounds on taxis taking them from the north west of England to Essex, London and the south coast, jurors were told.

Last February, Marten and Gordon were arrested in Brighton.

Days later, the body of baby Victoria was found in a Lidl supermarket bag covered in rubbish inside a disused shed.

The defendants, of no fixed address, deny manslaughter by gross negligence of the little girl between Wednesday 4 January and Monday 27 February last year.

They are also charged with perverting the course of justice, concealing the birth of a child, child cruelty and causing or allowing the death of a child.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Taxi drivers tell of concern for ‘meowing’ baby Victoria

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
January 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News