• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Decision about elected mayor for Sussex could be made this week

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Tuesday 28 Jan, 2025 at 8:50PM
A A
18
Greens call for voters to have their say on ‘devolution’ plans

The prospect of an elected mayor for the whole of Sussex could move a step closer this week.

The government is expected to tell a number of councils that they will be part of a “priority programme” for devolution.

Brighton and Hove City Council submitted an expression of interest in the priority programme earlier this month jointly with East Sussex County Council and West Sussex County Council.

If successful, they could be given funding towards the costs of setting up a new Sussex-wide strategic authority led by an elected mayor.

And the proposed strategic authority for Sussex could take responsibility for some of the biggest political decisions as early as May next year – on an “accelerated time-frame”.

If the mayor and strategic authority are given the go ahead, it looks likely that the borough and district councils across Sussex will be scrapped in favour of bigger “unitary” councils.

Brighton and Hove City Council, which is already a unitary, has a smaller population than the ideal number – about 500,000 – indicated by the government in a policy document known as a “white paper”.

As a result, Brighton and Hove may have to merge with one or more of its neighbours or, despite having a population of fewer than 300,000, could be left as it is.

The latest news emerged at a meeting of Greater Brighton Economic Board today (Tuesday 28 January) when Brighton and Hove City Council leader Bella Sankey gave members an update.

Councillor Sankey said that she expected to hear the government’s decision by the end of the week.

She said that the English devolution white paper empowered local government, enhanced autonomy and allowed regions to tailor policies to their own needs.

She said: “This board was of course born from the city deal in 2014, which was a form of devolution.

“As this new devolution chapter evolves, this board will keep a close eye on developments in Sussex and work to support collaboration to drive economic growth which is part of our mandate.”

The board is made up of seven councils – Adur, Arun, Brighton and Hove, Crawley, Lewes, Mid Sussex and Worthing – as well as the South Downs National Park Authority.

Other members include Sussex University, Brighton University and the Chichester College Group, NHS Sussex, the Brighton and Hove Economic Partnership and the Adur and Worthing Business Partnership.

After a brief formal meeting of the Greater Brighton Economic Board at the Marine Workshops, in Newhaven, this morning, members met informally to discuss the potential effects of devolution on the board.

In a government “white paper” on devolution, a number of areas were identified where new strategic authorities could be expected to drive growth and shape public services.

The list, which may expand, includes

• Transport and local infrastructure
• Skills and employment support
• Housing and strategic planning
• Economic development and regeneration
• Environment and climate change
• Health, wellbeing and public service reform
• Public safety

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 18

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    1 year ago

    One might ask why this time around there is not a referendum on a subject which brings many questions.

    Would the mayor be a political figure? In any case, how could such a person magic the claimed effects? What happens to local mayors? With whom would Hove and Brighton further merge as their population is just over half of the required number expected of an authority which would a part of all this?

    There are so many questions about this that one must question how, in the meanwhile, Hove and Brighton can deal with the prospect of such further large-scale matters as would be a part of a pan-Sussex remit.

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      1 year ago

      The other Metro Mayors all came into existence with our a referendum. Only the Mayor of London & GLA were approved by a referendum

      Where there have been referenda it has been for an executive Mayor of an individual council see for example Liverpool City Council.

      As an elected MetromMayor of course they would be a political figure.

      Where a council remains in existence then their civic mayors also remain. Civic Mayors don’t have any executive powers.

      Whilst for example Greater Manchester and Tees Valley have executive Mayors all the local councils within those areas still have their own Mayors. Andy Burnham is Mayor of Greater Manchester. He’s not the Mayor of Manchester City Council or Salford or Trafford councils – they still have their own,

      As to anything else perhaps we should best wait until the government makes it’s decisions and announcements. But when other metro mayors were created there was no change to the underlying councils. The 5 boroughts that form the Tees Valley Combined Authority still exist with their own councillors and powers.

      Reply
  2. Hoveperson says:
    1 year ago

    Just what we need, another layer of clueless people wasting taxpayers money.

    Reply
    • Stan Reid says:
      1 year ago

      I was under the impression the number of layers would be reduced, or is the rhetoric another disguise for what comes next ??

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        1 year ago

        No, you’re right Stan. Some discussions appear to be around centralising some services where it makes sense to do so, reducing layers.

        Does highlight to me the need to clearly communicate. The difference in knowledge about the subject creates narrative that aren’t based on any facts or reality, which isn’t helpful for informed discussion.

        Reply
  3. L R M says:
    1 year ago

    Every single district council opposes the fast track, the majority of Labour councillors and MPs across sussex oppose delaying elections. The LibDems (4 MPs) and Greens oppose the delaying of elections and fast track as do many Torys.

    Maybe this should be reported not just puff pieces about it.

    Most want devolution but if we get it wrong it will kill growth in our area for a generation.

    Reply
    • G M says:
      1 year ago

      Interesting, thanks Lloyd – the article gives no sense of the politics of this. I think the proposals in the white paper look mainly sensible, but agree, why the rush? (Labour seem generally determined to go at things at too high a pace, and are making errors as a result – one need only look to the current B&H schools proposals for another example.)

      Reply
  4. Chris Trugmaker says:
    1 year ago

    A decision this major requires a Sussex-wide referendum.
    No taxation without representation.

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      I certainly agree there needs to be good communication about what devolution actually means in real terms. I’d gently suggest that unless you are specifically interested in the topic, most people are not informed about it in any real detail, not to mention how this could look is very varied.

      The devil is in the details.

      Reply
  5. Kk Hancox says:
    1 year ago

    Just another layer of expensive government. We need less not more. Vote was strongly against it last time now it is being forced on us.

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      1 year ago

      That was for an elected, executive Mayor of the city council.

      This is a totally different position.

      Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      … demonstrating how easily it is to misunderstand the concept.

      Reply
  6. Billy+Short says:
    1 year ago

    The problem here, after 20 years of cuts and poor management decisions at national and local levels, is that trust in government is at an all time low.
    So this is not the time for such a major change.
    If voters have no say in this then it just adds to the pile of things that seem so negative right now.

    Reply
    • Chris says:
      1 year ago

      And they are running out of other people’s money to waste.

      Reply
  7. Stan Reid says:
    1 year ago

    As long as the multiple layers get reduced and a serious overall management comes into effect then the costs of all these mini empires should be less, too many council authorities in Sussex, 320 + I believe, and all of them desperate to hang onto bygone days of being in control of little or nothing, mainly basic interference at best, cut them down like the deadwood they are.

    Reply
  8. Mark Chawner says:
    1 year ago

    I’m glad that the various councillors get to have a say on this, rather than us the residents. In my opinion these new “mega” councils will just mean even more council tax expense and therefore even more money for them to waste on our behalf.

    Reply
  9. Andrew Peters says:
    1 year ago

    No public consultation! And just like the calamitous i360 any councillor that votes in favour will not be around to clear up the mess!

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      1 year ago

      However, unlike the i360, devolution has happened many times before, so there is a reliable evidence base to pull knowledge from in regards to what works well, and what doesn’t work well.

      Personally, I find this more convincing than Steve down the pub having a say – although I recognise allowing that discussion to happen is also important to people on balance.

      Reply

Leave a Reply to ChrisC Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

School building to become temporary charity hub

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Decision about elected mayor for Sussex could be made this week

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Café can become gym after plans approved

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
January 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News