• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Brighton man found guilty of double murder

by Frank le Duc
Friday 24 Oct, 2025 at 11:50AM
A A
0
Murder victims’ family pay tribute to ‘funny and loving’ couple

Josh and Chloe Bashford

A jury has convicted a Brighton man of murdering a couple in their home in Newhaven.

Derek Martin admitted killing Joshua and Chloe Bashford but said that it was manslaughter, claiming diminished responsibility, blaming a mental disorder.

Martin, 67, from Moulsecoomb, killed Chloe, 30, in a fit of anger – and when her husband, 33, arrived home shortly afterwards, Martin murdered him too.

Derek Martin

The jury at Brighton Crown Court was told that the defendant was close to the couple, regarding Chloe as his step-daughter although they were not related.

The murders left four children orphaned.

Martin walked into Brighton Police Station, in John Street, on the evening of Friday 9 June 2023 and told the person on the front counter: “I’ve killed two people.”

Initially, he went back outside to speak on the phone before officers came to speak to him.

The jury was shown CCTV clips of Martin going about his normal routine before he turned violent, clubbing Chloe with a hammer and stabbing her repeatedly.

He was seen ordering a drink at the Costa coffee shop, in Newhaven, visiting Sainsbury’s with Chloe and going for breakfast with her at the Stonehouse restaurant, in Peacehaven.

Later, they returned together to the Bashford family home, in Lewes Road, Newhaven, where Chloe and Josh lived with their four children.

In a police interview, Martin said that he had been cleaning a window at the house when he “just flipped” during a row about money with Chloe.

He struck her over the head with a hammer then stabbed her to death.

Martin said that Josh, 33, arrived home a short while later and saw him with a knife in his hand. Josh ran upstairs but was chased by Martin who repeatedly stabbed him then strangled him to death.

The 67-year-old, of Moulsecoomb Way, Brighton, then changed his clothes, picked up the couple’s four children from school and took them to both Costa and McDonald’s in Newhaven.

During this time, he discarded Chloe’s mobile phone in bushes near Sainsbury’s.

He then took the children to their grandmother’s house, in Brighton, before buying some beers from a shop in Whitehawk which he drank on the seafront.

Shortly afterwards, he handed himself in at the police station.

Officers went to the Bashford family home where they found the two bodies – and Martin was arrested.

The jury was told that Martin and Chloe became close a couple of years before the murders. Martin knew Chloe because he was previously married to her mother, Elaine Sturges, but they had divorced some years before she was born.

While he was remanded in custody, Sussex Police issued a public appeal to help find Chloe’s mobile phone. Martin saw the appeal and passed a hand-written note to a prison guard which confirmed where he had discarded the device.

This contained vital evidence which was subsequently used in the trial.

A note written by Derek Martin

Martin was remanded in custody today (Friday 24 October). He is due to be sentenced by the trial judge, Dame Justine Thornton, known as Mrs Justice Thornton, on Thursday 6 November.

Detective Chief Inspector Kimball Edey, of the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: “I would like to thank Chloe and Josh’s children and their families for their patience during this investigation.

“It goes without saying how sorry I am that they have had to suffer the loss of Chloe and Josh and I am in awe at the courage and strength they have all shown following the events of Friday 9 June 2023.

“The result today will, sadly, not change what happened, but I hope that it will enable them to end this chapter and move onto the next.

“I would also like to thank the members of the public who have supported this investigation.

“Finally, I commend the many members of staff and police officers who have worked tirelessly to help bring Derek Martin to justice.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man found dead in house this morning

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Brighton man found guilty of double murder

Post arrives too soon for Brighton Festival team

Car showroom to become supermarket

Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn

Moped rider held on suspicion of drug dealing

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Woman guilty of stealing hostage memorial

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

Mystery Musicals Bottomless Brunch – Komedia Brighton

17 February 2026
The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

The Ballad of Johnny & June – The Johnny Cash Musical

17 February 2026
Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

Mischa Barton makes her UK stage debut in Double Indemnity

17 February 2026
Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

Get ‘Down In The Park’ with Gary Numan

17 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
4

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
  • Man, 63, charged after pub stabbing 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News