• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Trial of former editor over ‘obscene’ tweet begins

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 17 Nov, 2025 at 11:48AM
A A
4
Former Labour activist due in court over tweet to Jewish campaigner

The trial of a former editor accused of sending an obscene tweet to a Jewish campaigner has started.

Greg Hadfield, 69, denies the single charge of sending by public communication network an offensive, indecent, obscene or menacing message on X (formerly Twitter).

The tweet was reported to Sussex Police by Fiona Sharpe, who was mentioned in the tweet, alongside a picture of another tweet sent by former Hove MP Ivor Caplin featuring a picture of a young man with an erect penis.

The two-day hearing was opened for the Crown Prosecution Service by Richard Sampson, who said: “This is a case which revolves around the posting of a message on the platform now known as X in which the crown say an indecent message was sent because of the obvious content of a photograph.”

The prosecution’s only witness was DC Joe Williams, who said he had interviewed Hadfield for interview last year.

He said: “I wanted to discuss whether he had sent the message on X to Fiona Sharpe which contained the image which is produced to the court today, but also a number of other messages.”

He said he had put in a telecoms request for data associated with the X account, which showed it had been set up with the email address and telephone number he had previously used to communicate with Hadfield.

Under cross examination, during which he was interrupted by Hadfield’s barrister John Cooper KC several times, DC Williams said he could not prove he had checked Hadfield’s Twitter account to confirm the screengrab Ms Sharpe had sent police matched a tweet on his timeline.

After the prosecution case completed, Mr Cooper asked the chief magistrate, district judge Sam Goozée, to declare there was no case to answer on the basis that the crown had not proved that Hadfield had sent the tweet in question.

He said: “It may have been edited or dealt with in some way by Fiona Sharpe with critical elements taken out which this officer knows nothing about.”

Mr Sampson told Mr Goozée that Hadfield had (unsuccessfully) applied to the court to rule the prosecution was an abuse of process on the basis his journalistic rights in sending the tweet were under attack, and had also publicly crowdfunded on the same basis.

Mr Goozée ruled that as the tweet was sent by Hadfield’s account and he had confirmed in interview he ran the account, so on the face of it there was a case to answer, and the case should proceed.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Rachel Lewis says:
    6 months ago

    So his defence lawyers was a disgusting pof as well, trying to blame the victim.

    Reply
    • John says:
      6 months ago

      What’s a pof Rachel?

      Reply
    • Lev Bronstein says:
      6 months ago

      A pof?

      Reply
    • Mark says:
      6 months ago

      You sound bright.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

New bus route to start next month

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Trial of former editor over ‘obscene’ tweet begins

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
November 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News