• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Man faces trial over assault on Jewish woman

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 19 May, 2026 at 8:50AM
A A
7
Boy, 17, given seven-year sentence for machete attack

A man faces a trial by jury after he denied that he carried out a religiously aggravated attack on a Jewish woman in the centre of Brighton.

Jemal Keddad, 40, of North Road, Brighton, appeared at Brighton Crown Court on Friday (15 May) having pleaded not guilty last month at an arraignment hearing – when the charge was formally put.

Matthew Hodgetts, prosecuting, told Recorder Quincy Whitaker that the assault happened at the Clock Tower, in North Street, Brighton, on Saturday 8 November last year.

Recorder Whitaker told the defendant that he would go on trial on Thursday 15 April next year and that the trial was expected to last two days.

She also told him that a pre-trial review would take place on Monday 22 March next year and remanded him on unconditional bail.

Keddad pleaded guilty to assaulting the woman when he appeared before Judge Mark Van Der Zwart in a hearing at Lewes Crown Court on Friday 10 April.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 7

  1. HARLEY says:
    3 months ago

    It feels like the law is beginning to wake up a little and starting to play its part in halting this tsunami of Jew hate, that has been sanctioned by the casual attitude of the hate marches and inflammatory gesture politics of the Labour Council repeating and endorsing racist lies against Jews over the war against Hamas.

    Reply
    • Robert says:
      3 months ago

      Except the peaceful “hate marches” you are talking about are against Israel’s genocide, war crimes, apartheid and breaking of international law. They are not against Jews they are against Israel and its actions.

      Genocide scholars, including from Israel, including previously pro-Zionist Jews who served in the IDF like Omar Bartov, recognise Israel’s mass murder in Gaza as genocide. The UN has recognised Israel is committing genocide. Amnesty, Human Rights Watch and Israeli human rights organisation b’tselem recognise Israel is committing genocide. These human rights organisations also recognise that Israel is an apartheid state.

      The term genocide was created by Rafael Lemkin exactly to create a legal term to describe the mass murder of a group because it was a common human action that happened regularly and there wasn’t a law that described it. The Holocaust was arguably the worst genocide in human history. But genocide is not another term for the Holocaust. Genocide is a legal term.

      The crime of genocide is so serious it differs from other crimes in there isn’t innocent until proven guilty. The world can’t wait until a genocide is complete to then decide. The ICJ is investigating genocide and it takes years but in the case of genocide it makes a preliminary finding, that finding was that Palestinians are at risk of genocide from Israel, the ICJ specified actions Israel needed to take to prevent genocide, which Israel ignored.

      Many Jews go to those marches and many march openly visibly as Jews in a bloc. They are not only welcome they are integral to the marches. Anybody who is pro-Palestinian human rights will be friends with the many Jews who are appalled at Israel’s actions. Polling shows that while the majority of Jews identify as Zionist (which means different things to different people) a very large minority of Jews are non-Zionist and anti-Zionist and that group is growing in particular amongst younger Jews.

      So while there is clearly very serious antisemitism in the UK and the Jewish community must be protected from the real threat of violence and terrorism target at it, please don’t use antisemitism for political ends and misrepresent peaceful marches that believe in humanism. Thank you.

      Reply
      • Joe says:
        3 months ago

        There is no genocide in Gaza

        Reply
      • Jay St Tropez says:
        3 months ago

        These are hate marches. I’ve witnessed them for myself. Foaming at the mouth anti semites, every last one of these awful people. I’m not Jewish but have had to console Jewish people in Western Road as these disgusting bigots spew their bile on their ‘peace marches’. There is no place for this on the streets of the UK. Enough is enough.

        Reply
        • Ivan says:
          3 months ago

          LOL like many of Israels supporters you lie through your teeth!
          Millions have peacefully marched through the streets of London and elsewhere in the UK protesting against Israels clear war crimes and whilst there may have been the odd incident these have been minor and very few and far between with minimal arrests and even less subsequently facing charges!

          Reply
          • Jay St Tropez says:
            3 months ago

            I have witnessed it with my own eyes in this town and the hate being spewed at these hate marches are there for everybody to see. I am not Jewish. I am not pro Israel. I am British and sick of the sight of these mentally ill, green hair, septic ring lunatics spouting their anti semitic nonsense on the streets of this country. If you care so much, get off your backside and go to Israel/Palestine to demonstrate. But stop terrorising Jewish people in this country. You have no right and you do not speak for anybody other than your own marxist anti-western group of incels.

  2. Ann E Nicky says:
    3 months ago

    Let’s not forget the continuous attacks on Christians in Israel especially in Jerusalem. The authorities do very little to investigate or discourage these daily occurrences.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man faces trial over assault on Jewish woman

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Load More
May 2026
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News