• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Deliveroo drivers renew threat of action over no pay deal

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 23 Feb, 2017 at 3:03PM
A A
5
Brighton Deliveroo riders threaten strike action

by Mosieur J on Flickr

Brighton Deliveroo riders say they will be announcing action against their employers after the company failed to come to the table to discuss their pay demands.

by Mosieur J on Flickr
by Mosieur J on Flickr

The riders, who this week gained the support of Brighton Pavilion MP Caroline Lucas and Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell MP, originally gave the company until Tuesday to meet their demands of a recruitment freeze and an increase in pay, claiming that low drop rates coupled with a huge number of riders meant many are earning below minimum wage.

Deliveroo told its riders it had stopped hiring in Brighton for the time being – despite saying it receives hundreds of applications every week – but has so far refused to enter into pay talks in response to the Independent Workers’ Union of Great Britain’s demand for the drop rate to increase from £4 to £5, saying that the union has not been formally recognised.

In a letter to the campaign, Mr McDonnell said: “I am disappointed that Deliveroo did not respond to the union’s offer to engage in negotiations… I am writing now to pledge full support for the Deliveroo riders in Brighton and their chosen path of a union campaign through the IWGB.

“As you are aware concerns have been expressed that Deliveroo are classing its riders as ‘independent contractors’ and as a result depriving them of employment rights.

“I would call on Deliveroo to meet with the IWGB with the aim of securing a deal over the modest demand made by your riders. I would be happy to help facilitate any discussions with the union in this regard.”

Ms Lucas said: “With many riders facing large gaps between jobs, often not through choice, the hourly rate falls well below the national minimum wage.

“My own position is that no riders should be earning less than the living wage after expenses.”

Deliveroo released the same statement it issued earlier this month, saying that the union misunderstood how it worked and condemning the threats it was issuing.

A petition urging Deliveroo to increase the pay of its riders has now been signed by over 5000 people and preparations are being made by the union for further action against the company, which will be announced in the coming days.

The IWGB already is fighting to secure union recognition and a collective bargaining agreement for Deliveroo’s riders in Camden, London, as well as the recognition of the riders as “workers” rather than “independent contractors” in legal proceedings it initiated in November, 2016.

The IWGB has achieved a series of victories for workers in the so-called “gig-economy”, most recently securing employment rights, including holiday pay and the minimum wage for a bicycle courier employed by CitySprint, in a landmark ruling.

The union is also backing cases against courier firms including Addison Lee, eCourier, Excel, with hearings expected from March through the summer.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Dan says:
    10 years ago

    Good luck to them, everybody deserves some level of fair pay and protection in their job.

    For the love of God though, please just obey the highway code and be considerate on the roads. You’d get a lot more people behind your cause as opposed to primarily considering you a danger and a nuisance.

    Reply
  2. Pingback: Deliveroo drivers renew threat of action over no pay deal - News for the Gig Economy
  3. Mo says:
    9 years ago

    I’m with Dan, absolutely

    Reply
  4. Fishwife says:
    9 years ago

    It’s outrageous that they could consider striking, and even worse that the government is allowing it to happen. How are the good people of Brighton supposed to cope without their essential supplies of luke-warm, overpriced convenience food? I hope these selfish sods can forgive themselves when we’re faced with the choice of starvation or (shudder) nipping out to Easy Hours.
    Amber Rudd, are you listening? Turn the hoses on them!

    Reply
  5. Pingback: Organising the workers whose jobs are made precarious by technology – Civil Society Futures

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Deliveroo drivers renew threat of action over no pay deal

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
February 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News