• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Portslade paramedic struck off for failing to help dying man

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 30 Sep, 2010 at 11:00PM
A A
0

A paramedic from Portslade has been struck off for failing to help a man who had a heart attack and then lying about it afterwards.

Karl Harris, 46, of Tophill Close, Portslade, was jailed earlier this year over the same incident for perverting the course of justice.

His 12-month prison sentence – imposed in March – was for lying about why he failed to try to resuscitate 30-stone Barry Baker.

Harris told his managers that Mr Baker, 59, had already died by the time he and trainee technician Ben Stokes arrived at Mr Baker’s home in Braybon Avenue, Patcham.

Harris has now been struck off by the Health Professions Council (HPC) after a hearing which he did not attend.

Mr Baker went into cardiac arrest shortly after Harris arrived at his home in Brighton on 29 November 2008.

At Harris’s trial the court was told that Mr Baker had called an ambulance after experiencing breathing difficulties at his home in the early hours.

Harris told the court he had arrived at the house but a large amount of clutter surrounding Mr Baker had prevented him and Mr Stokes from moving and resuscitating him.

The jury was told that Harris had told his colleague not to attempt resuscitation because he believed that Mr Baker was already dead.

Post-mortem tests found that Mr Baker’s weight and a thrombosis of the legs led to the cardiac arrest which killed him.

Mr Stokes was not charged although the South East Coast Ambulance Service placed him on restricted duties after the incident.

A panel of members of the HPC’s Conduct and Competence Committee dealt with Harris’s case.

The panel said: “The panel has heard the tape recording of the patient’s call which carried on after the crew arrived.

“It is quite clear that the patient was alive upon the arrival of the crew.

“It follows that the patient collapsed after the crew attended and after they had spoken.

“There was a clear duty on the part of Mr Harris to offer emergency treatment to a patient collapsing in these circumstances.

“That is so even when the large size of the patient and the patient’s home circumstances made treatment difficult.

“Yet nothing was done.

“And Mr Harris repeatedly lied after the event, in conversations, documents and interviews, stating that he had found the patient to be already dead when he entered the premises.

“The criminal offence with which Mr Harris was charged and convicted arose because his dishonest account would have been relevant to the inquest to be conducted by the coroner.

“The panel is satisfied that the conviction has been proved.

“Witnessing a patient’s collapse and doing nothing is clear misconduct.

“The totality of Mr Harris’s behaviour, comprising as it does both the failing to treat misconduct and the conviction, is such that his fitness to practise is currently impaired.

“This is because it is behaviour of the most grave nature going to the core of the professional obligations to offer proper care and to be candid about what did and did not happen.

“The panel approaches the issue of sanction on the basis that a sanction is not to be imposed to punish, but should only be imposed to protect members of the public and to maintain confidence in the registered profession and in the HPC’s regulatory function.

“Mr Harris’s conduct went to the core of direct patient care and his subsequent behaviour undermined his own credibility and compromised that of the paramedic profession.

“In these circumstances it is not appropriate to impose a caution order, impose conditions of practice or to impose a suspension order.

“Only the making of a striking-off order will sufficiently protect the public and underline the fact that behaviour of this nature will not be tolerated.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Portslade paramedic struck off for failing to help dying man

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
September 2010
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News