• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton and Hove council leader welcomes spending review

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 21 Oct, 2010 at 11:03PM
A A
0

The government’s comprehensive spending review wasn’t all bad news, according to the Conservative leader of Brighton and Hove City Council.

And Councillor Mary Mears said that the council was in a relatively good position after the statement by Chancellor George Osborne on behalf of the Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition.

Councillor Mears said: “We’ve been preparing the ground for the last year in Brighton and Hove to deliver savings of more than £50 million over the four years following the spending review and we’re well on track.

“Of course we will have to wait to see the final detail but the 7.1 per cent annual reductions as local government’s contribution to paying off the national debt are broadly what we were expecting.

“There was also some very good news. In particular

  • an end to the ring-fencing of virtually all our revenue grants giving us much greater flexibility as to how we spend our money
  • confirmation of the council tax freeze for next year
  • an extra £2 billion for adult social care
  • rising schools budgets for the next five years and the introduction of a ‘pupil premium’ for poorer children
  • introduction of tax increment financing enabling us to put additional investment into new major infrastructure projects which create jobs

“We want to reassure residents that the efficiency savings we have been making, and will continue to make, will have as little effect as possible on the essential frontline services that touch the lives of so many vulnerable people.

“We’re doing this by transforming the way we provide services, eradicating duplication, sharing services with partner organisations and cutting out waste.

“This council is in a good position compared to many others.

“We’ve known for months, if not years, that we’d have to make savings because of the mess the last government left the economy in, saddling us with huge national debt repayments and one of the largest structural budget deficits in the developed world.

“So we welcome and endorse the action being taken by the coalition government to put UK PLC’s house back in order.

“Debt interest payments alone will fall by £5 billion over the course of the spending review period thanks to the measures they are taking.

“That is equivalent to 50 hospitals or 100,000 teachers.

“The IMF, the World Bank, the OECD, the European Commission, the Governor of the Bank of England and even Tony Blair have all endorsed this approach and I think we all look forward to 2015 when this huge structural deficit is eradicated.

“Those who oppose the approach of George Osborne, by burying their heads in the sand and refusing to accept the enormity of the deficit, are becoming increasingly isolated.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Brighton and Hove council leader welcomes spending review

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2010
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News