• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Queen awards knighthood to sponsor of Brighton and Portslade academies

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 31 Dec, 2011 at 2:26AM
A A
0

Falmer and Portslade academies sponsor Rod Aldridge has been knighted in the New Year Honours List.

Sir Rod, 64, chairman of the Aldridge Foundation, said: “I’m overwhelmed and deeply honoured. It’s fantastic news.

“It’s for services to young people and that’s what it’s about. It’s fantastic for the foundation and for the team I’ve got around me.”

Sir Rod Aldridge

Sir Rod was born locally and went to Portslade County School for Boys after failing the 11-plus.

He left school at 16 and worked for East Sussex County Council and Brighton Borough Council (now Brighton and Hove City Council).

He worked his way up as an accountant, eventually setting up the outsourcing company Capita.

By the time he stepped down as executive chairman in 2006 the company was making £200 million a year in profit.

He was made an OBE in the 1994 New Year Honours List and in 1996 he was given the freedom of the City of London and elected a fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.

Sir Rod was approached by the council to turn Falmer High School into an academy. It opened last year as the Brighton Aldridge Community Academy and moved into a new £28 million building in September.

He has since turned his old school, which had become Portslade Community College, into the Portslade Aldridge Community Academy.

The council is due to decide a planning application on Wednesday 11 January for a £12 million sixth form on the academy’s Chalky Road site.

Sir Rod sponsors three other academies, is a patron and former trustee of the Prince’s Trust, chairmam of V, the volunteering charity, and a member of the Prince’s Charities Council.

He describes himself as “deeply committed to entrepreneurship and passionate in his commitment to equality of opportunity and access for all”.

He was one of at least five people from Brighton and Hove to be honoured by the Queen in the New Year Honours List. The others were also recognised for their work with voluntary and charitable organisations.

Ray Hazan

Ray Hazan, 66, the president of St Dunstan’s, the charity with a home in Ovingdean, was made an OBE for services to blind ex-servicemen and women. Mr Hazan was blinded by a parcel bomb in Northern Ireland in 1973 and also lost his right hand. He has since inspired hundreds of others who have lost their sight and has served on the staff of St Dunstan’s since 1977.

Elizabeth Howell, chief executive of the Compaid Trust, a charity for disabled people in Kent, was also made an OBE. Mrs Howell, who lives in Brighton, was honoured for services to the voluntary sector in South East England.

Alice Purnell

Alice Purnell, 68, from Hove, was also made an OBE. The psychologist, counsellor and author was honoured for services to transgender people. She worked as a geriatric nurse for many years and helped set up numerous support groups for transgender people. She also organised conferences and training for professionals and those involved in the care of transpeople. She said of her honour: “It took me by surprise. I’ve done the work because it needed to be done. It’s nice to get a pat on the back.”

Jess Wood, the founder and director of the Allsorts Youth Project in Ship Street, Brighton, was made an MBE for services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans (LGBT) and young people.

Jess Wood

She said: “I feel very honoured to receive such an award especially when I think of all the wonderful volunteers and workers in the community and voluntary sector in Brighton and Hove whose incredible achievements also deserve recognition.

“I know I am only one of many people out there fighting for a better and more just society. What pleases me most is that an MBE for any LGBT individual tells us that the state recognises that the LGBT communities matter and need specific services which the state values and honours.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Queen awards knighthood to sponsor of Brighton and Portslade academies

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
December 2011
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News