• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Changes to be decided for one of Brighton and Hove’s accident blackspots

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 10 Jan, 2013 at 12:07PM
A A
0

It can be tricky to cross the Seven Dials but it’s trickier to win agreement for changes.

Forty four people have been injured at the Dials over the past five years, nine of them seriously. Eighteen of those injured were cyclists.

It will surprise few people that the busy roundabout is one of the worst accident blackspots in Brighton and Hove.

The Green Party’s transport chief, Councillor Ian Davey, had little trouble persuading people that something should be done.

As so often, agreeing the details of what should be done is proving harder.

A consultation exercise found most support for making it easier to cross the Dials, reducing road speeds, planting more vegetation, removing the guard railings and increasing the size of the roundabout.

The initial proposals have been modified after feedback from the public.

Councillor Ian Davey

Next Tuesday (15 January) Councillor Davey is due to chair the Brighton and Hove City Council Transport Committee at Hove Town Hall when the proposed changes will be debated.

At a council meeting last month he picked up a flavour of the opposition to some of those proposed changes.

Dave Evans, of Addison Road, Hove, raised the issue, asking: “Why are the pelican crossings being downgraded without any specific reference to them on the questionnaire when we have many disabled and vulnerable people that use Seven Dials for their local shops, post office and chemist?

“This question comes from the parents of a wheelchair user who know they are more secure with phased traffic lights on the existing crossing.”

Mr Evans, a member of the Dials North West Community Association, also presented a petition with almost 1,400 signatures to the council.

It urged the council “to reject the proposals as they stand”. It added: “We oppose any scheme at the Dials which may lead to traffic being diverted on to residential streets. We are in favour of changes to our local area which improves the environment for all users.”

After addressing the council Mr Evans criticised the public consultation and said: “Residents don’t want to see the traffic backing up.

“They don’t have confidence in the traffic modelling system.

“There’s a terrific mismatch between what councillors say residents are saying and what we’re hearing on the doorstep.

“Regrettably, this needs a bit more thinking about.”

Another question came from Nigel Jenner, a Labour supporter who stood in the local elections in the affected area, Goldsmid ward.

He also asked about traffic being diverted or other knock-on effects while the proposed changes are carried out.

He said that the knock-on effect of the closure of Old Shoreham Road to build the cycle lanes had led to more drivers using the bridge over the railway line in Wilbury Villas.

Residents raised concerns but say their fears were ignored. In September the bridge was closed to traffic for safety reasons.

Yet safety is a key driver for the proposals being debated next Tuesday.

It will come down to ten councillors, five of them Greens. Councillor Davey has a casting vote if necessary.

If the scheme is approved, work could start as soon as next month with the aim of completing it in the summer.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Changes to be decided for one of Brighton and Hove’s accident blackspots

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
January 2013
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News