• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton tenant rep threatened with eviction over Nazi claim

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 7 Mar, 2013 at 9:41PM
A A
2

A tenant rep is being threatened with eviction by Brighton and Hove City Council after he passed on critical comments.

John Melson, 74, of Lavender Street, Brighton, has been told that he has to vacate his flat by Monday 1 April because he called council officials Nazis.

Mr Melson denied the claim and said that he had merely passed on feedback from tenants as one of their representatives.

He said that he was sensitive to the word Nazi in part because members of his family had been murdered during the Holocaust.

He added that the false claim was being used to try to silence him after he wrote a critical letter on behalf of the High Rise Action Group, which represents council tenants.

The letter was written after the High Rise Action Group meeting on Tuesday 4 December and at the group’s request.

The letter urged new council chief executive Penny Thompson to ask auditors to investigate the council’s housing management.

Mr Melson received a letter dated Monday 17 December from head of housing Jugal Sharma which accused him of likening council officials to Nazis and fascists.

Penny Thompson

The letter said: “Expressing these deeply offensive views in a public arena is a very serious matter.”

It added that he was in breach of his tenancy agreement and that it “could also constitute a criminal act”.

A notice seeking possession of Mr Melson’s flat was issued on Thursday 28 February by Annabel Tate, an anti-social behaviour housing officer.

She wrote to Mr Melson: “On 20 November 2012 during a phone conversation with Rachel Chasseaud you stated words to the effect that you and other residents were so full of hatred for certain council officers that you were thinking of getting your swastikas out and hanging them out of your windows and that you thought that these officers were behaving like fascists and Nazis.”

In Mr Sharma’s letter a week before Christmas Mr Melson was accused of using language which was “alarming, inappropriate and offensive” and “inflammatory”.

Mr Sharma wrote: “Such a statement would be extremely offensive to anyone who is Jewish or from another group who were targeted by the Nazi regime, who may have lost relatives in the Holocaust or who have experienced another fascist regime or indeed any kind of bigotry.

“Further to this, to liken council officers to Nazis and fascists is also offensive and disproportionate to any complaint you or other residents might have.

“This not only completely trivialises the experiences of people who really have suffered as the result of a Nazi or fascist regime, it is also disrespectful to council officers.”

Mr Sharma’s letter was sent less than a fortnight after Mr Melson wrote to the new chief executive on behalf of the High Rise Action Group: “The group is conscious there are significant failures by the chair of housing and housing management to consider the best interests of the council’s housing stock, of best value for money and the best interests of the council and the council’s tenants and leaseholders.”

In reply to Mr Sharma, Mr Melson wrote: “I am shocked and offended to have received a letter on 17 December 2012 from the director of housing alleging that I called council officers Nazis.

“I have never held or stated as my personal opinion that council officers either collectively or individually are Nazis.

“As a tenants’ representative I have had the disturbing obligation to inform officers that among the feedback I was receiving from some members of the community were comments such as ‘council officers are behaving like Nazis’ and ‘soon we’ll have to fly swastika flags’.

“Having had family murdered in the Holocaust and grown close to a relative who, until her death in 1954, had survived Ravensbruck, I am sensitive to the word Nazi.

“I did not assume that the speakers meant it in the literal sense that it had in the 1930-40s, but more as an expression of a general sense of frustration, exclusion and feeling bullied through their inability to get what they feel are satisfactory answers from officers.”

Mr Melson said that Mr Sharma and housing officer Becky Purnell had been present at the High Rise Action Group meeting when he shared the feedback.

He wrote: “High Rise Action Group meetings are governed by the (council’s) Code of Conduct so I am concerned that no one, particularly officer Purnell, director of housing Jugal Sharma or either of the two councillors present at the meeting made any form of protest at the time if I had breached the Code of Conduct.

“I feel the complaints resulted from the High Rise Action Group’s request for an audit investigation into housing management and reinforce the perception among senior tenants’ representatives that notices of seeking possession are being used to silence us if we raise our voices and challenge the council’s actions or ask ‘too many’ questions.”

Two councillors were also present at the meeting, Garry Peltzer Dunn and Steph Powell. Neither has complained about Mr Melson’s remarks.

Mr Melson said that he would go to court to contest the council’s attempt to evict him.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Valerie Paynter says:
    13 years ago

    I was at the HRAG meeting where Mr. Melson spoke. It was meant to have been an officer-free meeting with only Head of Housing, Mr Jugal Sharma, attending along with invited Councillors, in order to facilitate a free-speech feedback session as there were some concerns. That was how it was put to me. What I understood would be happening. So I was very surprised to see the officer in attendance, with no remit for being there.

    Cllr Stephanie Powell attended, as did Cllr Garry Peltzer-Dunn. Neither Cllr showed any concern when Mr. Melson relayed the comments he had had from tenants…and his words above reflect how I recall things. Cllr Peltzer-Dunn was concerned by other remarks concerning fellow councillors not in attendance but not these.

    The officer making the complaint against Mr. Melson should not even have been in attendance at the meeting where he made his remarks.

    At the end of an HMCSC pre-meeting in December, a while after that fateful HRAG meeting, the officer concerned, who I only later learned had gone to superiors to formally complain, approached with another officer and engaged me on the subject of what Mr. Melson had said. I was asked what I thought about his remarks. I asked why the officer had attended and was told this officer had gone privately to the Chair to ask to come along and he had agreed.

    This was surely questionable and disrespectful behaviour on that officer’s part in seeking (successfully) to over-ride the fact that it was intended to be a residents-only meeting with the INVITED Head of Housing and Councillors. Did Mr. Sharma, the Head of Housing, know she would be attending? I do wonder. She should have been told by him not to come.

    I thought at the time that it was provocative and rather confontational for the officer to have gatecrashed in this way.

    Reply
  2. George Coombs says:
    12 years ago

    I am sure there is a lot in what Valerie Paynter has said -brighton and hove council seem to be something of law unto themselves-to give just one example, I emailed the head of sheltered housing over a month ago to give feedback on the recently received report by the chartered institute of housing, feedback that I was givn to understand was asked for-my efforts were not even acnowledged-the kind of behaviour valerie descibes leaves one wondering where the council gets some of its staff from and what training, if any, they receive….I could go on in this vein…..

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Brighton tenant rep threatened with eviction over Nazi claim

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2013
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News