• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

More money granted for Brighton and Hove school building works

by Frank le Duc
Monday 11 Mar, 2013 at 6:55PM
A A
0

Brighton and Hove schools will receive more money from the government in the coming year to fund major building projects.

Up to £12 million will be spent on structural maintenance, carrying out urgent repairs and catering for rising pupil numbers.

The government announced the grant totals on Friday 1 March, the day after Brighton and Hove City Council set its budget for 2013-14.

A report to the council’s Children and Young People Committee said: “The overall level of capital funding available for expenditure on school buildings from the government has increased from last year when comparing with the main allocations.

“Funding is now allocated under three headings only.

  • Structural maintenance, under which £920,000 is available for schools and other educational establishments
  • Capital maintenance grant, under which £3,107,784 is available for expenditure on improving the condition of the school estate
  • Basic need funding, under which £7,921,299 in total is available for expenditure on providing additional pupil places for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 financial years

“In addition to this a further £1 million has been included within the capital strategy to assist with new pupil places.”

The £920,000 structural maintenance pot will be used to “address the most urgent and important items highlighted by the condition surveys of school buildings”.

The capital maintenance grant includes £300,000 to be spent dealing with asbestos and legionella.

The report to councillors said: “Legislation on both the control of legionella and asbestos in buildings has given rise to the need to carry out works on a rolling programme to school buildings to achieve compliance with the new legislation.”

A further £150,000 will go towards work identified by fire risk assessments and another £150,000 will fund improved ventilation in school kitchens.

The report said that there was a backlog of £30 million of “condition-related works” in schools.

The council will add £1.7 million from the capital maintenance grant to the £920,000 structural maintenance funding to address this.

The £2.6 million total will fund the most urgent work to prevent school buildings having to close because they breached health and safety or other laws.

The £8 million allocated to cater for the growing number of pupils includes £2.1 million for work at Aldrington CE Primary School over the next two years.

And £1 million will be allocated to refurbish buildings at the rear of the Connaught Infant School site. The school, which is run as an annex of West Hove Infant School, is likely to need to expand by September next year.

In addition £2.4 million was set aside to convert Hove Police Station in Holland Road into a primary school over the coming two years.

The council has not yet finalised the purchase of the premises from Sussex Police but negotiations are under way.

In Portslade £1.75 million will go towards changes at St Peter’s Community Infant School, St Nicolas Church of England Junior School and Portslade Infant School.

These are intended to cater for the growing number of primary school age children living in Portslade.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

More money granted for Brighton and Hove school building works

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
March 2013
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News