An unemployed 20-year-old Brighton man has been charged with grooming a 14-year-old girl and inciting her to engage in sexual activity.
Fahim Uddin, of Melrose Close in Hollingdean, was remanded in custody by Brighton magistrates until his next court hearing on Tuesday 3 September.
Uddin is accused of seven sexual offences after meeting the girl, who has learning difficulties, on Facebook on Christmas Day last year.
The victim’s family contacted Sussex Police in January and Uddin was arrested on Thursday 3 January.
He was released on police bail and interviewed further in June and subsequently charged, Sussex Police said.
The charges are that
- Between Monday 24 December and Friday 28 December last year he incited a child to engage in sexual activity contrary to section 10 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
- On Thursday 27 December last year he met a child after sexually grooming her contrary to section 15 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
- On Thursday 27 December he engaged in sexual activity with a child contrary to section 9 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
- Three similar offences on Thursday 27 December last year.
- Between Thursday 27 December and Thursday 3 January he arranged the commission of a child sex offence, contrary to section 14 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003, which was that he had arranged to meet the 14-year-old on Wednesday 3 January for sexual activity.