• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Work to complete London Road ‘oasis’ delayed

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 28 Apr, 2015 at 8:21AM
A A
3
Work to complete London Road ‘oasis’ delayed

Ann Street

Work to complete the revamp of a square off London Road has been delayed because of ongoing roadworks elsewhere in the city.

Ann StreetBrighton and Hove City Council started working on the square in Ann Street and Providence Place, in front of St Bartholemew’s Church, in August last year.

It was meant to have finished in December – but delays to other projects such as the seafront, Edward Street and the Vogue Gyratory have had a knock-on effect and it’s now slated to be finished in June or July.

And the final phase, the space opposite St Bartholomew’s Primary School, is on hold as rising costs mean the funding no longer covers the whole project.

A council newsletter explained: You will have noticed that completion of the works is taking longer than originally estimated.

“Unfortunately the number of road works that have been ongoing on the seafront, Edward Street and the Vogue Gyratory and various delays to these caused by a variety of factors has meant that the contractor has been severely stretched and unable to dedicate the resources to completing the Ann Street/Providence Place project within the originally scheduled timeframe.

“The works should now be completed around June or, by the very latest, July. A revised programme of works and a suggested alternative route for vehicles affected by road closures resulting from the work are provided in this newsletter.

“Rising costs has meant that the works on the upper part of Ann Street will not be completed under the current funding scheme.

“This is the area to the west of St Bartholomew’s Church running up Ann Street past the Primary School to the top of the road (Phase 4 area shown on the map on the next page).

“The council will be doing its best to find financial resources to complete this area in the future.

“The council can appreciate that everyone who lives, works or goes to school in the area will have put up with a fair degree of disruption and it would like to thank you for your patience. The completed works will help to improve the area for the benefit of all.

“You can find out more about the project online: www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/livelycities and www.facebook.com/livelycitiesbrighton.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Gerald Wiley says:
    11 years ago

    Is it true that all these contracts are delivered by just one compnay – ECL?

    Why can’t the city council introduce some form of competition and allow other companies to get involved and remove this apparent bottleneck in service delivery?

    Perhaps @brighton bluenose would care to comment.

    Reply
  2. Rostrum says:
    11 years ago

    Wot.. Competition.. Value for money.. Work done on time.. Are you mad ????
    That flies in the face of what local government is all about………

    Reply
  3. TdL says:
    11 years ago

    I pass the square on a daily basis, normally 2 people on the site….think they manage about 1 m2 a day since changes are minimal. Lets make it June July 2016 since it won’t get done in a hurry

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Work to complete London Road ‘oasis’ delayed

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
April 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News