• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Funding application being made to save Brighton cycle track

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 17 Sep, 2015 at 5:52PM
A A
0
Funding application being made to save Brighton cycle track

A funding application will be made to try to save Preston Park Cycle Track in Brighton.

Members of Brighton and Hove City Council agreed that the funding application should be made to British Cycling, the sport’s governing body, at a meeting this afternoon (Thursday 17 September).

The decision was made by council’s Economic Development and Culture Committee which also agreed to put up £100,000 from the money paid by developers to improve local parks and gardens.

Preston Park Cycle TrackBritish Cycling has already indicated that it would look favourably on such an application, having told the council earlier this year that the track was no longer safe for racing.

The main problem is the fence surrounding the track which was deemed unsafe after a cyclist died at another track where there was a similar style of fence.

The total cost of the project is expected to be £285,000.

While the track needs repairs, these are not crucial and the track itself is fit for racing. It would cost more than £800,000 to relay the track and this is not included in the proposed scheme.

The council will also remove the roof of the stand which was found to be unsafe when it was surveyed. The removal is expected to cost about £25,000.

The council will also put up charges to £50 an hour for groups if they have exclusive use of the track – up from the current £4.50. The aim is to put the track on a more sustainable financial footing.

Council leader Warren Morgan said that the cycle track was a unique and valuable asset and this case was a good example of how the council was able to unlock external funding.

The committee, meeting at the Jubilee Library, in Brighton, heard from the Friends of Preston Park, who gave their backing to the cycle track. But the group’s chairman Tony Benson urged councillors to look at the park’s needs in the round.

Councillor Morgan said that other opportunities to do this would arise and this funding application needed to be dealt with now.

Anthony Rogers and Alison Lewis spoke for the cycle clubs that use the track. They emphasised the wider benefits, including health and fitness.

The committee agreed unanimously to apply to British Cycling for funding and put up match funding to bring the track back into use for racing.

Afterwards representatives of the cycling clubs that use the track said that they were pleased. They were keen for funding to be secured as soon as possible.

And they hoped that the work could be completed before the start of the cycle racing season next April although the timescale is tight and another season could be lost.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Funding application being made to save Brighton cycle track

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News