Man left with broken jaw after vicious and unprovoked attacked in centre of Brighton

Posted On 19 Jan 2016 at 7:53 pm

A man was left with a broken jaw after a vicious and unprovoked attack at a bus stop in Churchill Square, Brighton, Sussex Police said.

The force said: “Police in Brighton are investigating a vicious and unprovoked attack on a young man in a city square.

“The victim, an 18-year-old man, was visiting the city from Surrey for a night out with friends.

“At a point between 11.30pm on Friday 8 January and 1am on the Saturday morning (9 January) he was waiting at the bus stops opposite M&S outside Churchill Square when he was approached by a group of men.

“He was punched and fell to the floor, then kicked, resulting in a broken jaw.

“The main offender is described as black, believed to be English and in his early twenties. He was around 5ft 10in and of average build.

“He had a black cap on with a flat visor pulled low down covering his face and a dark coloured puffy jacket with the hood up.

“Nothing was stolen.”

Detective Constable Caroline Gridley said: “After the assault another man helped him up. We believe this man was part of the group but was not involved in the actual assault.

“He did not hurt the victim but helped him up and asked the others to stop.

“”This man is clearly an important witness and we would encourage him to come forward and speak to us, in confidence.

“After the assault the suspects are believed to have walked back towards the Clock Tower.

“The victim has been left with a broken jaw in which metal plates have been inserted. He is on a liquid diet for months and his injuries are likely to affect him for the rest of his life.”

Sussex Police urged the man who helped the victim of the attack – and any witnesses – to contact detectives by phoning 101, emailing or calling the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.