• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Nine flats to be added to Hove office block

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 9 Mar, 2016 at 8:12PM
A A
0
Nine flats to be added to Hove office block

Rayford House in School Road, Hove

Nine flats are to be added to an office block in Hove after planners backed a scheme to build an extra storey and extension to the side.

Criticisms were made of the design of the extension and the way that it fitted together with the existing building – Rayford House, in School Road, Hove, on the corner of Kingsthorpe Road.

An official Brighton and Hove City Council report advised councillors to turn down the planning application.

But the council’s Planning Committee went against the advice of planning officials, persuaded by the need for new homes and despite echoing official reservations about the design.

Lap Chan, from the architects Morgan Carn, pointed out that there had been only one objection to the proposal and said: “There are no objections from immediate neighbours and an urgent need for housing. There is an onus on all of us to make best use of all sites in the city.

“There is already an extant approval for an additional storey to the building.

“There should be a presumption in favour of sustainable development. How much more sustainable can a development be?”

Rayford House in School Road, Hove
Rayford House in School Road, Hove

Councillor Joe Miller said: “Nine extra flats without much objection or loss of amenity to neighbours – it’s a good use of the site.”

Councillor Leo Littman said: “I went to school in School Road. The buildings at the top of the road were never particularly attractive in my opinion. And we are in significant need of new housing.”

Councillor Maggie Barradell said: “Without doing down that area of Hove, it’s not particularly attractive. I imagine the rest of that area is ripe for development as well.”

She was “not uncritical of the design” and was concerned that if it could set a design precedent in the area it was important to get it right.

She added that she was also aware of the need for housing.

Councillor Carol Theobald said: “I find that this is a pretty ugly building and this seems to improve what’s there at the moment.”

Councillor Lee Wares said: “Having looked at the application that was approved and can be built, it was an improvement on what’s there and this application is an improvement on that.”

Councillor Penny Gilbey said: “(The proposal) looks like a building of two halves but it is on a corner.”

She criticised aspects of the design but added that compared with what had already been passed it was an improvement.

Councillor Adrian Morris said that “the verticals destroy the horizontal element” of the five-storey design.

The building is currently four storeys high.

Councillor Morris added: “It’s far too fussy. It’s quite a simple thing for the architects to resolve this.”

Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty said: “I would prefer a more coherent form to the scheme.”

Councillor Julie Cattell, who chairs the Planning Committee, said: “The principle is fine but it’s too fussy and I would prefer to see a simpler design and something more coherent.”

The 11 committee members present voted seven to four in favour of the scheme.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Nine flats to be added to Hove office block

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2016
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News