• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton care home declared safe after dealing with outbreak of e-coli

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 30 Aug, 2016 at 10:30PM
A A
1
Brighton care home declared safe after dealing with outbreak of e-coli

Maycroft Manor

A Brighton care home has been declared safe after an official inspection, having had to deal with an outbreak of e.coli among staff and residents.

Maycroft Manor Care Home, in Carden Avenue, Brighton, was inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) last month for the fifth time in just over two years.

In a report published last week, the CQC said that overall Maycroft Manor was good. The home was also rated good for providing services that were safe, effective, caring, responsive and well led.

The inspection took place weeks after Maycroft Manor – part of the Hallmark Care Homes Group – had to tackle an outbreak of e.coli 0157 which affected two residents and a member of staff.

The care home’s bosses halted visits from friends and relatives of the elderly residents after the outbreak in June.

At the time Public Health England said that a national outbreak had affected more than 100 people including 22 in the south east. The source was believed to be unwashed salad.

Symptoms include stomach pain and diarrhoea, with contaminated food or infected animals a common source of infection.

Maycroft Manor
Maycroft Manor

The CQC report said: “We undertook this unannounced focused inspection in light of information of concern we received. The service had been confirmed as having a serious infectious outbreak.

“The service was clean and well maintained, with clear guidance displayed for people and staff in relation to the prevention and control of the serious infectious outbreak.

“People told us they understood that the service had a serious infectious outbreak and that they had been provided with information about this.

“They told us they understood that visiting was restricted and that there may be some temporary changes to the way their care was provided.

“One person told us, ‘They told us all about it (the outbreak). They’ve been wonderful. They have done everything they can to sort it out. It seems like they’ve gone over the top, but they have to”.

“The provider had also ensured that up to date and relevant information updates in relation to the outbreak were prepared and distributed to staff, visitors and people living at the service.

“The provider had actively engaged with and followed guidance and protocols dictated by professional bodies such as Public Health England (PHE), environmental health and the local clinical commissioning group (CCG) in order to contain the outbreak and to obtain samples for screening people, staff and pets at the service.

“The provider had sensitively and appropriately gathered stool samples for screening from everybody living and working at the service. Arrangements had also been made to provide specialist equipment and take isolation precautions for people who had been infected.

Effective

“The provider had implemented appropriate refresher training for staff in relation to hand washing and infection control and had also liaised with PHE to provide specific training around the effects of a serious infectious outbreak.

“Effective management procedures had been put in place in light of the outbreak. A team of four managers had been put together to specifically deal with the issues in the service and to liaise with staff and external bodies.

“Staff told us that they felt well supported and listened to during the outbreak and had clear lines of management and communication available to them.

“A member of staff told us, ‘Everything has been handled really well, especially around giving us good information about new guidance. I’ve been able to approach the manager about anything to do with it. It’s really great that we’ve got such a good manager.’

“Changes had been made to the environment of the service and the way it was cleaned and maintained to limit the possibility of cross contamination.

“Staff practices and procedures had been amended in order to limit the risk of infection and changes had been made in the way that waste was disposed of.

“The provider had relevant and up to date policies and procedures in relation to infection control and had updated them in light of this outbreak.

“The provider undertook quality assurance reviews to measure and monitor the standard of infection control in the service and drive improvement.

Support

“The provider was in the process of arranging meetings to establish learning and reflective practice, to put together protocols and tools to assist other services, both in the Hallmark Care group and the local area that may be affected by an outbreak of this nature in the future.”

The report also said: “Maycroft Manor provides care and support to people with personal care and nursing needs, many of whom were living with dementia.

“The home provided care and support for up to 99 people. There were 86 people living at the service on the day of our inspection.

“Maycroft Manor belongs to a large corporate organisation called Hallmark Care Homes. Hallmark Care Homes provide residential and nursing care across England.

“A registered manager was not in post. The registered manager had left the service approximately two months previously and day to day management of the service was carried out by a peripatetic manager and clinical care manager. The provider was in the process of recruiting another registered manager.”

Hallmark Care Homes Group Holdings, the ultimate parent company, made £14.9 million pre-tax profit on turnover of £53.7 million, according to its most recent published accounts. The company is owned by the Goyal family, who are based in Billericay, in Essex.

A spokesman for Maycroft Manor said: “We are pleased that the CQC confirmed that our service was safe following an inspection in July, particularly as this took place at the time of a national outbreak which affected the home but was managed carefully.

“The health and wellbeing of our residents is our number one priority. We are dedicated to delivering the highest quality care for all residents and look forward to continuing to demonstrate these high standards at our next inspection.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. barb humphries says:
    10 years ago

    Only Hallmark homes and ex=PWC care speculator Avnish aka “Vanish” (the invisible man) Goyal could get away with turning an infection outbreak into a positive news story. Check out his “care” on scam dot com glassceiling nhs choices and other sites.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton care home declared safe after dealing with outbreak of e-coli

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
August 2016
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News