• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Court turns down Hove taxi driver’s appeal to win back his licence

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 7 Mar, 2017 at 5:44PM
A A
0
Brighton driver pays high price for ignoring ticket

A court has turned down an appeal by a Hove cabbie after his taxi driving licence was revoked by Brighton and Hove City Council.

Mohammed Chebbi, 52, of Egmont Road, Hove, lost his hackney carriage licence – the licence to drive a taxi – in September after his ex-wife claimed that he was violent.

Mr Chebbi’s case was heard at Brighton Magistrates’ Court this afternoon (Tuesday 7 March) with the council saying that he was not a fit and proper person to drive a taxi.

Mike Tyler, for the council, said that Mr Chebbi was expected to drive vulnerable people, including children, but the council was concerned that he might not provide a safe and secure environment.

Mr Tyler said: “He failed to exercise self-control and exhibited behaviours and attitudes that gave considerable cause for concern.

“He assaulted his wife, which he disputes, (and) he holds attitudes and values that are deeply worrying.”

Mr Tyler told the magistrates that the purpose of the taxi licensing regime was to protect the public, not a driver’s trade.

Mr Tyler also said that the council’s Hackney Carriage Office had received complaints in the past, including that he blocked a road then lost his temper when asked to move. Mr Chebbi also disputed this.

While the law did not say what made someone a fit and proper person, Mr Tyler cited a commonly accepted test: “Would you allow your son or daughter, spouse or partner, mother or father, grandson or grand-daughter or other person you cared about to get into this vehicle with this person alone?

“To give Mr Chebbi his licence back could put others at risk.”

Mr Chebbi said: “I’ve been out of work for six months. I’ve got bills … I am here, pleading for my job.”

He said that the claims against him came from his ex-wife Aida Nfissi, 35, of Mile Oak Road, Portslade, and should not be taken on trust as evidence.

He had held his licence for more than 22 years – since October 1994 – and had a good record and the support of his bosses.

He said: “No one has witnessed me being violent to my ex-wife.”

He said that he had no criminal convictions – and the court accepted this.

In evidence a senior council officer, Jo Player, told the court that since the Rotherham child sexual exploitation case, local authorities had become more aware of potential risks.

She said: “We will take into account things such as domestic violence as one of the factors we will look at when we consider whether the public are being put at risk.

“We take all aspects of safeguarding seriously. If there have been allegations that domestic violence has been going on, there is a concern that they don’t have control of their temper and if confronted by a passenger who is argumentative might not act in a controlled way.”

She also said that the council had been made aware of a claim that a child had been seen not wearing a seatbelt in Mr Chebbi’s car.

Jo Player told the court: “I believe it shows that he is not taking child safety seriously.”

In response to her evidence, Mr Chebbi told the court: “If she is concerned that my mood might change, we’ve got CCTV cameras in the taxi. We’d be foolish to misbehave.”

Mr Chebbi, who is originally from Tunisia, said: “I’ve been living in this country for 28 years and I’ve never been convicted or charged with anything.

“I’ve had British nationality since 1993 and I’ve been a taxi driver for 23 years since October 1994.

“When you renew your licence every three years you have to have a (criminal records check) and it shows I am clean. In the eye of the law I am a clean person until proven otherwise.

“I’ve been working for the company for 22 years and I have picked up vulnerable old people, vulnerable children, I have taken home people who are drunk or drugged at 3am. I care for them. I have never been violent.

“If they thought I was unfit, they should have revoked my licence years and years ago.

“All the reports are biased against me. They are not balanced. All this came from my ex-wife. She is the source of all the information.

“If they think those allegations are serious, how come I haven’t been charged and convicted.

“In this country you are innocent until proven guilty. You have to provide complete evidence, not allegations.

“I love my job and I pay my dues. Some people can discriminate. Some people can be racist.

“I’ve been abused in my taxi. I’ve been called names, particularly after 9/11 and the (Iraq) war.”

Mr Tyler criticised Mr Chebbi’s attitude, saying: “You say, it’s all your wife’s fault. She made it up. It’s just revenge.”

He told the court: “The purpose of the regime is to protect the public from any threat the driver may pose.

“You should put aside his personal circumstances and bear in mind the purpose of the regime which is to protect the public.”

The court upheld the revocation and ordered Mr Chebbi to pay £500 towards the council’s costs.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Court turns down Hove taxi driver’s appeal to win back his licence

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
March 2017
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News