Boat sinks – one man rescued and one dead as search continues for two missing

Posted On 06 Aug 2017 at 10:24 am

A man was rescued and another died after a boat sank with a search still under way at sea for two missing crew members.

The Brighton and Shoreham RNLI lifeboats have been joined by two coastguard helicopters, Sussex Police and crew members working on the Rampion wind farm to look for the missing pair.

Shoreham RNLI said: “The lifeboats have rescued a man from a sunken boat and are now relaunching to search for his missing crew mate.

“There is now an extensive search east to west. The coastguard helicopter is joining the search about three miles off Shoreham.”

The RNLI said that its lifeboats and the coastguard helicopter had been joined in the search by vessels in the area.

Sussex Police said: “One man has been pulled from the sea alive but another has sadly died and a search is under way for two others after a boat is reported to have sunk in the English Channel off Shoreham in the early hours of Sunday morning (6 August).

“The 45-year-old survivor, from London, was found clinging to a buoy by commercial fishermen about two miles west of Shoreham Harbour just after dawn.

“He was picked up by RNLI lifeboat and landed at Shoreham from where he was taken to hospital.

“A major search was launched by HM Coastguard supported by Sussex Police who are searching beaches between Brighton and Worthing.

“The body of a man was recovered from the sea and brought ashore by coastguard helicopter around 8.15am.

“A search of sea and coastline is continuing for two other men believed to be in the boat and an investigation has been opened in conjunction with the Marine Accident Investigation Branch to establish the circumstances of how the men came to be in the water.

“It is thought that the boat may have left Brighton Marina around midnight and the incident may have happened a couple of hours later but the facts are not clear at this time.

“Police are appealing for anyone with information about the incident or the boat involved to report online or to call 101 quoting Operation Barnet.”

The callout came at about 6am this morning (Sunday 6 August).

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.