• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Hove

Tennis players protest handover of courts to football players

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 14 Dec, 2017 at 12:48PM
A A
0
Tennis players protest handover of courts to football players

Tennis players who use the courts in Hove Park are fighting the decision to resurface five of them for the sole use of footballers.

A demonstration was held at the courts earlier this month, and today a deputation is due to speak at a full council meeting at Hove Town Hall.

The courts are currently covered in artificial grass, and used by tennis players in the summer and footballers in the winter.

But the grass needs replacing, and Brighton and Hove City Council has decided to resurface them with recycled tyres – which is perfect for football, but useless for tennis.

It says it cannot simply replace the astro turf because the work is being paid for by Section 106 contributions from the Park House development, which can only be used for new projects – and a decision on how it will be used is needed within weeks before the agreement expires.

In a briefing shared with the tennis players, officers also point out that the footballers pay the council £10,950 a year to use the area, compared to the £2,150 paid by tennis players.

And it says it has been approached by a football charity, the Russell Martin Academy, which would be interested in operating the new surface.

The letter says: “Should the area continue to be run by Cityparks, the prospect of generating enough money to set aside a suitable sinking fund a minimum of £10,000, just for surface replacement, per year is a lot better with football than tennis.

“This figure is based on the 3G estimated cost so could be different for a tennis surface.

“Objections to the 3G surface raised by the public are all so far from tennis. If the 3G surface was to be stopped, tennis would not be an option for the reasons stated above, so we would need to rapidly find another suitable spend within Hove Park.”

Tennis player Neil Dickson of Hove Park Tennis Club said: “They made the decision behind closed doors and there was no consultation. We had no input into the decision at all and we feel that this decision which affects everybody should have gone through committee.

“There’s a wider issue of who managed tennis courts. Queens Park Tennis Club is set to take over the council courts there and we want to follow suit because we feel we have got no other option.

“The courts are in such a terrible state. They’ve only been resurfaced once in 27 years.

“Demand is really high in the summer. There’s us at Hove Park Tennis Club, Blaggs, Topcats, the Welbeck retired group and various coached and there’s a kids club which uses it at weekends. There’s always people waiting.

“The Section 106 agreement is worded so that the money can only be spent on a new facility, but not maintain or spend on a like for like project. But 106 money is spent in that way by other councils and it’s really down to the wording that’s chosen. We feel that the council is hiding behind this technicality.

“At Hove Rec, the replacement of the rugby pitches was classified as a new project because they put in a new sub base with drainage.”

A council spokesman said: “With its seven all-weather hard courts Hove Park continues to provide fantastic facilities for tennis.

“However, we are keenly aware that the artificial grass area has fallen into disrepair.

“Due to reductions in government funding and increased demand for council services we can no long afford to maintain the artificial grass area and guarantee its long-term future.

“We are therefore looking making a one-off investment in upgrading the surface into a 3G Artificial Grass Pitch in order to make the area a more attractive proposition for an external sports operator.

“Funding has been identified that could be used to support such a one-off programme of improvement work.

“This would come from financial contributions developers have made through the planning process for projects that should benefit and increase the outdoor sports offer for the local communities.

“In the short-term, based on advice from our external consultant we’re expecting the 3G resurfacing to cost around £165,000.

“There would be little or no financial advantage in opting for standard astro-turf instead as it would not be self-financing.

“Any replacement pitch is likely to be a similar capital cost as it isn’t a matter of simply putting a new layer of artificial turf on top of the existing area. The whole of the sand base would also have to be dug up and replaced.

“The long-term management and operation of the pitch has yet to be decided. However it is anticipated that a prospective leaseholder would manage bookings and ongoing maintenance, and would also pay an annual sum that we would set aside for 10-15 years’ time when the new surface has worn out to enable a replacement.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Tennis players protest handover of courts to football players

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
December 2017
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News